Re: On Learning Humility; An Evening with Bugs in Florida

Detrick Merz

Very good, and thank you for the additional info. Your experience sounded, overall, somewhere between a bad and an average day for me. But I use a KX3 and work primarily CW at 15W.

I spent a couple weeks in FL last December. During my trip I had my first activation to successfully reach at least 44 contacts on one attempt. In the days before that activation I built a new antenna and spent some time in the backyard as a hunter to see how it performed. It seemed like all the acticators I hunted were running hard, easily reaching 44 contacts in no time. A few times, when the other activator seemed slow, I asked how much power they were running. 100W was the constant answer. I don't have a way to run 100W in a park, so I did the next best thing: I brought a laptop with and ran FT8 to give myself a fighting chance. It worked, but I also found that CW contacts seemed to come more easily than they had in the past at 5W. My biggest lesson was to run 15W for as long as I could, and 10W once battery voltage had dropped too far for 15W. The additional power, meager as it may seem, has let me skip using FT8 ever since. But an activation is still an all day event for me (but no complaints here).

I'm surprised to hear of someone having such a hard time with 100W. But also somewhat comforted. It gives me hope that sometimes it's just bad condx or a slow day and not my meager power output.

73, 44,

-detrick
K4IZ

On Tue, May 1, 2018, 13:44 Wayne Robertson <k4wk@...> wrote:

Good questions: 100 watts, SSB on 14 (got zero) and 7 Mhz, Icom 706 MarkII.  Antenna a Par EndFedz for 40 and 20m.

Hope to work you on future activations.

On 5/1/2018 12:54 PM, Detrick Merz wrote:
A good read, thanks. I was left with a few questions:

Power? Mode(s)? Radio?

73, 44,

-detrick
K4IZ