The HCRA Fox is Back in Hiding and Waiting to be Found!

Attention Fox Hunters,

As of 1400hrs, October 8th, the HCRA Fox escaped and is back in hiding! This could be a very tricky hunt so bring your best fox hunting knowledge with you cause your gonna need it.

This is also a good opportunity for base stations to give signal reports and a direction if possible. It's just as important for the hunters to know where it cannot be heard too.

That sneaky fox is running the usual one watt into an 18 inch antenna. I was able to wake it from it's slumber running only 25 watts in my mobile into a 5/8 wave mag mount at the intersection of Memorial Drive & Pendleton Ave in Chicopee, MA. co-ordinates 42.18646, -72.57745 (see map below)

You can activate the fox by going on the 2 meter simplex frequency of 147.55 MHz (PL 100.0Hz), key your transmitter, identify yourself then press the DTMF "1". If the Fox can hear you and you can hear it, you will hear its very distinctive sound. It will transmit for 30 seconds, ID and then repeat 2 more times and then go back to sleep. You can make it transmit as often as necessary to locate it.

This is a good opportunity for base stations to get in on the fun. If you can hear the fox please give it's signal strength and direction if possible. Please do not reveal its location, just a location where you can hear it from, this then becomes a starting point for the other fox hunters to use.

If you locate the foxbox you do not actually have to touch the box to claim finding it. Eyeball contact is sufficient and a photo is a plus. It is located less than 500 feet from a safe parking location. Announce here on this group that you found it and any comments other than it's location. We want to know who has found it and who hasn't.

If possible take a pic of the fox box with your cell phone and post the pic along with your comment to announce that you have found the fox. Do not give away it's location in the pic!

I can tell you it is in a public accessible location with nearby safe parking. Getting to the fb is a short walk on flat ground.

Please do not post the frequency or PL on social media, websites or email lists.

Happy Fox Hunting!
Ken, KD1KU

Larry Krainson - W1AST

I'm hoping Faye and I will go out hunting it this Sunday or Monday.

Larry, W1AST
HCRA President
Visit my Ham Radio club website at: www.HCRA.org
Team K2H - 13 Colonies Massachusetts State Manager

--

Larry - W1AST
Visit my ham club at HCRA.org

Rod Bungard

Found the fox this morning around 8:00!  We hunted it Friday but the traffic was heavy and we only had a short time for fox hunting.  The fox was sneaky this time!  I usually never start where the clue shows that the fox can be heard, and it usually works out to my advantage.
Thanks for the Hide, the fox is working as it should, just not very sensitive on the receive side.

Congrats Rod!
I did hear you on Friday and figured you ran out of time. Yes it's a tricky one and glad to hear it's working fine. Can't say more without giving up the fox for other hunters.
73, Ken