Scotland Hill Farm, Llandygwydd - GEORGE Family

alison

Many thanks Simon. 

The earliest George that I have on this line is Evan George, b c1716, bur Llandygwydd on 8th Feb 1803.  It has been said that he married Anne Makeig, but I have been unable to find this marriage.   Evan’s son, Enos George, b c1772 in Llandygwydd, was “of Scotland in the parish of Llandygwydd” according to his will, which was proved in 1844. – This can be seen on the NLW site. – A number of Enos’ sons were also said to be living at Scotland when he made his will. 

I cannot find a will for Benjamin Makeig, but there is one for Thomas Makeig of Scotland, Llandygwydd, 1764.

Best wishes,

Alison

From: WLS-Dyfed@groups.io <WLS-Dyfed@groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Carter via groups.io

The farm has long been called “Scotland” or “Scotland Hill”. I have the family of William Griffith (d. 1789) there in the 1770s. His wife Mary Makeig, the widow of Benjamin Makeig and formerly Mary Jones (m. Benjamin Makeig, 5 Sept 1769). The Makeigs were formerly associated with Scotland Farm. Benjamin Makeig (or Mikeig) was buried at Llandygwydd on 24 Nov 1790.

Mary was from Aberporth, Cardiganshire.

The name “Makeig” would appear to have Scottish roots, I have no further info. It’s possible NLW has a will for him (I’ve not looked). This might be a starting point if you wish to take this further.

Join WLS-Dyfed@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.