Re: Scotland Hill Farm, Llandygwydd - GEORGE Family

RHODRI DAFIS

Simon,

Where does this fit in with you?

My memory is failing me! Is this one of the sons of Griffith John of Llwynduris.

There are Articles about the Mackeig Family in the Ceredigion Journals - Available online in NLW JOURNALS.

From Memory the first of the family is described as a Scotch Peddler?

There are several wills for the family at the NLW available on line.

Rhodri

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 19:46, Simon Carter via groups.io <s.n.carter=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Alison,

You don’t give any dates for your George family.

The farm has long been called “Scotland” or “Scotland Hill”. I have the family of William Griffith (d. 1789) there in the 1770s. His wife Mary Makeig, the widow of Benjamin Makeig and formerly Mary Jones (m. Benjamin Makeig, 5 Sept 1769). The Makeigs were formerly associated with Scotland Farm. Benjamin Makeig (or Mikeig) was buried at Llandygwydd on 24 Nov 1790.

Mary was from Aberporth, Cardiganshire.

The name “Makeig” would appear to have Scottish roots, I have no further info. It’s possible NLW has a will for him (I’ve not looked). This might be a starting point if you wish to take this further.

Simon Carter