Re: My Interests

RHODRI DAFIS

Gerwyn,

The ridge to the west of Talley is known as Mynydd Cefnrhos.

A "cousin" of my father "Will Gelly" farmed it during the first part of the 20th Century, but by the time I remember him in the late 1950's he had retired and was living opposite the Abbey in the village of Talley.

All my fathers research all on paper and not easy to follow (For example References to Bessie's Children but which Bessie as at least 20 Elizabeth's appear in his motes.) is in a box somewhere, and I am not sure of the exact relationship to by father, but "Will Gelly" was probably a generation older.

My fathers ancestors and most relatives were from Parishes between the Teifi and Towy allthough later generations moved further affield.

Practically every other Farm in Talley, and neighboring Parishes were farmed as Tenants at some time by relatives of one degree or another and I remember as Child being taken on a tour of Farms in Talley including what was referred to as Gelli Gefnrhos, which was undoubtedly the property you are asking about.

Transcriptions of Censuses and Deeds contain numerous errors in my experience!

Most this area formed part of the Edwinsford Estate at one time I understand.

Searches at the NLW where there are Edwinsford Estate Deeds, as well as Carmarthen Archive Schedules (Both on Line) may throw up other variants of the name.

Rhodri

On Sun, 17 May 2020 at 22:23, Jennifer Cairns via groups.io <jennifercairns=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
hi Gerwyn - the best I can find (your search for a Gelli ….. )
is a Gelli Cefn-y-Rhos which is near Talley..
this is a map link

Map Reference SN63SW
Grid Reference SN640313

cheers,  Jen