From: jrhunter3@...
Sent: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 15:34:53 -0500
To: wjma@groups.io
Subject: [WJMA] when radio was fun

I saw this post and response on Facebook and thought it was worth passing along…from back in the day when radio was fun.

………….

In 1972 I was doing the 7 to midnight shift and all 3 Rock stations played oldies a couple times an hour, so I had this bright idea. Since I knew the jocks at WKAZ and WCHS, I called them up and told them of my brilliant plan: Let's all play the exact same song at the exact same time, AND it had the be a really BAD song, like "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini". So this we did. We planned our records, spots, and talk... to each start that record at the exact second. Can you imagine what the listeners thought as they furiously pushed their car radio buttons in an attempt to get away from that song? We did that a couple more times and got away with it, but on the 4th try, we (I) was busted. Called into the managers office and all hell broke loose. Surprisingly, I wasn't fired.... then.
——————
Same thing happened in Detroit when the overnight jock conference call network decided "MacArthur Park" was the song they all could play. So at a designated time five Detroit radio stations left the cake out in the rain.