Topics

PSA - "The American Comic" - 1960/70s

Chap Harrison

I've been trying to remember the details of a PSA that was played during the late '60s / early '70s. I believe it was part of a group of PSAs celebrating American excellence.

It began with a series of audio clips of American standup comedians (Abbot & Costello, Jack Benny, etc.) delivering their signature boffo jokes and one-liners. ("Look, bud - your money or your life." "I'm thinking it over!").

This was followed by a sepulchral male voice that began "The - American - Comic," and went on to eulogize these artists in deep, ponderous tones. The incongruity used to crack up me and my sibs, and I even remember our father responding to some silly wisecrack one of us made by murmuring "The American Comic..."

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Chap Harrison

Ross Hunter

Chap,

I don’t recall these PSAs. I haven’t had any luck with Google. There are too many hits near my search terms. Perhaps someone with better Google skills can find something.

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

On Jan 6, 2020, at 11:56 AM, Chap Harrison via Groups.Io <chap.harrison@...> wrote:

I've been trying to remember the details of a PSA that was played during the late '60s / early '70s. I believe it was part of a group of PSAs celebrating American excellence.

It began with a series of audio clips of American standup comedians (Abbot & Costello, Jack Benny, etc.) delivering their signature boffo jokes and one-liners. ("Look, bud - your money or your life." "I'm thinking it over!").

This was followed by a sepulchral male voice that began "The - American - Comic," and went on to eulogize these artists in deep, ponderous tones. The incongruity used to crack up me and my sibs, and I even remember our father responding to some silly wisecrack one of us made by murmuring "The American Comic..."

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Chap Harrison

Ann Harrison Walker

I certainly remember the phrase "The American... Comic"! I feel that I can almost remember the boxes that held the recordings: a whole set of 'em.

(But I haven't had luck Googling the phrase, either, Ross.)

Ann Harrison
(Miss Priority Message)

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 9:04 AM Ross Hunter via Groups.Io <jrhunter3=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Les Myers

 "Look, bud - your money or your life." "I'm thinking it over!"). I thought he said "Your money or your wife," but why quibble?

[...]

Alex Formwalt

The money or life comic routine was Jack Benny's creation, built upon his self-styled reputation as being cheap. Still funny.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone