Topics

Phil Goodwin's retirement luncheon

Ross Hunter

Yesterday I attended Phil Goodwin’s retirement luncheon along with JD Slade, Mary Thompson, and Bill Little from the old WJMA staff. Also a bunch of current Piedmont Communications employees were there. I have some pictures I hope to get posted by tomorrow.

Phil read the following “things I’ve learned”:

If on your first week on the job, you miss a cue in a newscast and the news director demands and apology, he must not be joking.

If that same news director apologizes for the same thing less than a week later, just keep your mouth shut and let him.

When Arch Harrison asks at your first meeting if you drink a lot or chase women a lot, he’s got his reasons.

One of the nicest things you can for for a mature colleague is card him in front of a group of coeds at the entrance to the Montpelier Wine Festival.

When calling a colleague to sub for you at 2 in the morning on Thanksgiving as your wife has gone into labor…give more information than “Hey, Phil, guess what?”

Your having a press pass and cassette recorder will not impress the President of the United States.

You should be suspicious when taking a check for a suitable advertising buy. Especially if the person presenting the check is a member of the clergy.

When Arch Harrison says you’re a “limited success” as a sales person, he’s advising you to find another line of work.

I’m the only person from WJMA to sell advertising to the Old Oaken Bucket Mini Mall, Half Bluff Auto Sales and Big Tom’s Speed Shop.

When you announce your engagement, Pat Watson will point out that outside of agreeing to marry you, your fiancé seems like a reasonable sensible girl.

If one of your colleagues has a housemate with prettier blue eyes than Reba McEntire, that might be an opportunity worth pursuing.

When you bring your first born child to the station, Pat Watson will express amazement that the child can look like his father and be cute at the same time.

The fact that your presided over the only wedding in the history of Swap Shop will not impress anybody.

The most important thing I ever said on the radio was if there was going to be school today.

Les Myers

These "learned" clips are great. Thanks for sending them.

[...]

Cathy Christovich

Great advice!

Cathy Christovich ('70-'71)