Topics

Phil Goodwin honor

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

Phil Goodwin is the 2018 recipient of the George A. Bowles Jr. Award for Distinguished Performance in Broadcast News, awarded annually by the Virginia Association of Broadcasters (VAB). The Bowles award is the state’s highest news industry award. It will be presented at the VAB meeting in Virginia Beach on the weekend of June 12-23 at Virginia Beach.

Phil joined WJMA in 1976 as evening announcer. Over the years he did just about everything at the station: announcing on all shifts, production, sports, sales, and assisting with engineering. In the mid 1980s, Phil left for jobs at other stations (WINA, WCVA/WCUL, and WTKR), but returned in the 1990s as News Director.

Over the years Phil has won awards from the Virginia Associated Press Broadcasters and the Virginia Association of Broadcasters. In 1994 he was honored by the Radio Television News Directors Association (RTNDA) with an Edward R. Murrow award for his feature news story “Water Discovered” about renovating a public water fountain on Main Street in Orange. Andy Rooney from CBS presented Phil the award. Phil says he was flattered when Rooney told him “I heard the story. The writing was good.”

Reid Harrison

Wow!  Congratulations, Phil!

On Jun 3, 2018, at 21:19, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

[...]

Gary & Jane Gardner

That is really cool. Congratulations, Phil, from Gary and me!
Jane

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

On Jun 3, 2018 3:19 PM, "Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA]" <WJMA@...> wrote:

[...]

John Lee

Congratulations!

John Lee, Radio Orange Class of ‘86

On Jun 3, 2018 3:19 PM, "Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA]" wrote:

[...]

Patricia Mcarver

Proud that I had the opportunity to work early mornings with this talented man.  He really could do everything….bolstered by lots of coffee!  Congratulations, Phil.

Patricia McArver

1978-1982

[...]

Jay Kiernan

Congratulations, Phil! Nice going!

All I ever won was the coveted Pat Watson Award for the Whust Newscast EVAH!

You have come quite a way from one time, back in the late seventies, when you were filling in for Ross on Swap Shop one morning, and a nice lady called in to try to sell a "unifoam." You had a lovely chat with her, and eventually realized that what she was offering for sale was a UNIFORM. I don't know how many times you mentioned that unifoam during that conversation on the air, but I had a good giggle over that!

Also, I did not know that Andy Rooney had presented you with another award, and mentioned to you that he had heard AND liked your story!!! That really impressed me because I don't think that Andy Rooney ever liked ANYTHING!!!

I recall that most of his bits on 60 Minutes seemed to begin with the phrase, "Don't you just hate it when..."

Keep up the good work, Phil!

Clint Estes

Phil, my sincere congrats for a job well done!
Think of you often and yes I am still listening on the way to work!  I even remember George Bowles.

                                                         Clint

[...]

Alex Formwalt

This is well-deserved recogition for Phil, and it honors the WJMA legacy as well. Congrats, Phil!
May wish to check the dates of the VAB meeting.
Alex

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

Good catch on the meeting dates. It should be 21-23. 12-23 sounds like a vacation at the beach.

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm