Topics

movin' on

Ross Hunter

Thanks for all the feedback.

We made it safely to South Carolina and our furniture arrived on Saturday. Many thanks to Blue Ridge Movers from Madison who did a wonderful and efficient job of moving us.

We’re beginning to to settle in and trying to find many things we know we packed…somewhere.

On Nov 14, 2018, at 9:20 AM, Ross Hunter <jrhunter3@...> wrote:

Arch hired me to work at WJMA in the summer of 1971. I started on Monday Aug 23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a couple of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.

The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell the house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange and Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere else. It’s sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a part of our grand kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.

I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia. I’ve spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more than willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the space to store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files. I’ll need to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society thinks that the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the physical archives. When you made that air check all those years ago, did you ever think it might be preserved in a historical archive?

I know the Virginia Historical Society has the WRVA archive. WRVA has a very big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be a nice compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve looked at may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with as much saved at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come across additional items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.

When we get settled, I hope to get back to re-editing the WJMA documentary. I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding images I didn’t have for the first version, replacing some low resolution images with newer scans, and adding some WJMA audio.