Topics

movin' on

Ross Hunter

Arch hired me to work at WJMA in the summer of 1971. I started on Monday Aug 23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a couple of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.

The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell the house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange and Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere else. It’s sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a part of our grand kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.

I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia. I’ve spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more than willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the space to store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files. I’ll need to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society thinks that the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the physical archives. When you made that air check all those years ago, did you ever think it might be preserved in a historical archive?

I know the Virginia Historical Society has the WRVA archive. WRVA has a very big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be a nice compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve looked at may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with as much saved at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come across additional items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.

When we get settled, I hope to get back to re-editing the WJMA documentary. I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding images I didn’t have for the first version, replacing some low resolution images with newer scans, and adding some WJMA audio.

Ross
71-86

Clint Estes

Ross & Carol,
    Sadly I am happy for you both.
    Do I (and yes I can) come by today for the suitcase?

Clint

-----Original Message-----
To: WJMA <WJMA@groups.io>
Cc: Kevin Dalton <kdalton@...>
Sent: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 9:20 am
Subject: [WJMA] movin' on

Arch hired me to work at WJMA in the summer of 1971. I started on Monday Aug 23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a couple of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.

The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell the house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange and Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere else. It’s sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a part of our grand kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.

I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia. I’ve spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more than willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the space to store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files. I’ll need to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society thinks that the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the physical archives. When you made that air check all those years ago, did you ever think it might be preserved in a historical archive?

I know the Virginia Historical Society has the WRVA archive. WRVA has a very big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be a nice compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve looked at may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with as much saved at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come across additional items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.

When we get settled, I hope to get back to re-editing the WJMA documentary. I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding images I didn’t have for the first version, replacing some low resolution images with newer scans, and adding some WJMA audio.

Ross
71-86

Ross Hunter

Please do come by. We should be here until 5ish. Call me 540-661-6587 if we need to do something different.

I have not had a chance to do additional copying of any of the sports tapes. Perhaps we can look at them and pick one or two for me to take and copy. I’ll send the originals back to you.

Ross

On Nov 14, 2018, at 11:05 AM, Clint Estes via Groups.Io <Clestes@...> wrote:

Ross & Carol,

Clint

Ross
71-86

Chuck Brown

Ross, I know the feeling!! I moved to South Hill from Orange in 1954, and
I'm still here. I don't expect to ever leave here. We have a son buried
here, and my parents are buried here, and at 91 I have no incentive to
leave. None our grandchildren live in our area. Three live in Conway,
South Carolina, and three live in Roanoke (2 of the 3 in Roanoke are
Great-Grandchildren). Enjoy your retirement with your family.

Best to you and yours
Chuck Brown

----- Original Message -----
To: <WJMA@groups.io>
Cc: "Kevin Dalton" <kdalton@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:20 AM

Arch hired me to work at WJMA in the summer of 1971. I started on Monday Aug
23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a couple
of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.

The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell the
house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our
daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange and
Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere else. It’s
sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a part of our grand
kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.

I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia. I’ve
spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more than
willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the space to
store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files. I’ll need
to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society thinks that
the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the physical archives.
When you made that air check all those years ago, did you ever think it
might be preserved in a historical archive?

I know the Virginia Historical Society has the WRVA archive. WRVA has a very
big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be a nice
compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve looked at
may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with as much saved
at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come across additional
items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.

When we get settled, I hope to get back to re-editing the WJMA documentary.
I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding images I didn’t have
for the first version, replacing some low resolution images with newer
scans, and adding some WJMA audio.

Ross
71-86

Les Myers

I guess that you prove that no one is a "fixture." But congratulations from someone who listened to your audition (If memory serves, I may have even opened the mic for you to read reeeal goood). I'm glad to hear that work on the WJAM archives will continue. I send my best wishes to you and Carol. Your reasons for leaving Orange make good sense, although the community will be just a teensy less gooood.

Cheers from Maine where it is about 25 degrees with 40 mph wind gusts. You won't get that weather in SC.

Les

Sent: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:20:32 -0500
To: wjma@groups.io

Arch hired me to work at WJMA in the summer of 1971. I started on Monday
Aug 23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a
couple of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.

The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell
the house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our
daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange
and Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere
else. It’s sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a
part of our grand kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.

I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia.
I’ve spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more
than willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the
space to store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files.
I’ll need to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society
thinks that the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the
physical archives. When you made that air check all those years ago, did
you ever think it might be preserved in a historical archive?

I know the Virginia Historical Society has the WRVA archive. WRVA has a
very big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be
a nice compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve
looked at may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with
as much saved at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come
across additional items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.

When we get settled, I hope to get back to re-editing the WJMA
documentary. I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding
images I didn’t have for the first version, replacing some low resolution
images with newer scans, and adding some WJMA audio.

Ross
71-86

Laurie McCullough

Ross and Carol,

Oh my goodness- I can't imagine Orange Virginia without the two of you. But your decision is certainly understandable. May you have safe travels, a move where nothing gets broken, and the joy that comes from being close to your family.
Laurie

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 11:05 AM Clint Estes via Groups.Io <Clestes=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ross & Carol,

Clint

Ross
71-86

Patricia Mcarver

Hard to imagine Orange without Ross & Carol and I think all of us are grateful for your diligent work in preserving the story of WJMA. Radio Orange was truly an icon of small market radio.  Thank you for your passion and interest in maintaining the files and history . . . something many of us would have tossed as we moved on to other things. 

Welcome to South Carolina!  I've not kept up with Virginia politics but you may feel like you've entered a place where the sky is a different color with SC politics.  Governor ran on a platform of no sanctuary cities in the state even though there's not a snowball's chance in hell any city would ever adopt that position.  You spell conservative S-O-U-T-H C-A-R-O-L-I-N-A.

Hope to see you after you get settled.

All the best,
Patricia
WJMA 78-82

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎November‎ ‎14‎, ‎2018‎ ‎09‎:‎20‎:‎40‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EST, Ross Hunter <jrhunter3@...> wrote:

Ross
71-86

Barbara Potter-Drinkwater

You and Carol will be so missed. You have been such driving forced for good in the community.

I was looking at the Pat Watson Memorial Oak with its burnished gold leaves from my hot tub the other evening remembering those golden times st WjMA with all you great people In The late 1970’s when I moved down from upstate New York. I can almost here her voice: “Potter, you’re late!” If only by a few seconds on the clock. Ah, those were the days!

Happy travels to you both. You won’t have any regrets with those young grandkid years!

❤️Barbara Potter Drinkwater

On Nov 14, 2018, at 1:23 PM, Les Myers <baroque@...> wrote:

I guess that you prove that no one is a "fixture." But congratulations from someone who listened to your audition (If memory serves, I may have even opened the mic for you to read reeeal goood). I'm glad to hear that work on the WJAM archives will continue. I send my best wishes to you and Carol. Your reasons for leaving Orange make good sense, although the community will be just a teensy less gooood.

Cheers from Maine where it is about 25 degrees with 40 mph wind gusts. You won't get that weather in SC.

Les

Sent: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:20:32 -0500
To: wjma@groups.io

Aug 23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a
couple of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.

The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell
the house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our
daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange
and Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere
else. It’s sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a
part of our grand kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.

I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia.
I’ve spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more
than willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the
space to store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files.
I’ll need to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society
thinks that the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the
physical archives. When you made that air check all those years ago, did
you ever think it might be preserved in a historical archive?

very big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be
a nice compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve
looked at may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with
as much saved at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come
across additional items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.

documentary. I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding
images I didn’t have for the first version, replacing some low resolution
images with newer scans, and adding some WJMA audio.

Ross
71-86

Ralph Graves

Can't argue with being closer to family. But you will be missed. I'm assuming your new home has a basement for the H0 scale layout you finally have time to build...

Ralph Graves

From: Barbara Potter-Drinkwater via Groups.Io <willowdrinkwater@...>
Sent: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 8:03 pm
Subject: Re: [WJMA] movin' on

You and Carol will be so missed. You have been such driving forced for good in the community.

I was looking at the Pat Watson Memorial Oak with its burnished gold leaves from my hot tub the other evening remembering those golden times st WjMA with all you great people In The late 1970’s when I moved down from upstate New York. I can almost here her voice: “Potter, you’re late!” If only by a few seconds on the clock. Ah, those were the days!

Happy travels to you both. You won’t have any regrets with those young grandkid years!

> On Nov 14, 2018, at 1:23 PM, Les Myers <baroque@...> wrote:
>
> I guess that you prove that no one is a "fixture." But congratulations from someone who listened to your audition (If memory serves, I may have even opened the mic for you to read reeeal goood). I'm glad to hear that work on the WJAM archives will continue. I send my best wishes to you and Carol. Your reasons for leaving Orange make good sense, although the community will be just a teensy less gooood.
>
> Cheers from Maine where it is about 25 degrees with 40 mph wind gusts.  You won't get that weather in SC.
>
> Les
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: jrhunter3@...
>> Sent: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:20:32 -0500
>> To: wjma@groups.io
>> Subject: [WJMA] movin' on
>>
>> Arch hired me to work at WJMA in the summer of 1971. I started on Monday
>> Aug 23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a
>> couple of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.
>>
>> The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell
>> the house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our
>> daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange
>> and Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere
>> else. It’s sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a
>> part of our grand kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.
>>
>> I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia.
>> I’ve spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more
>> than willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the
>> space to store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files.
>> I’ll need to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society
>> thinks that the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the
>> physical archives. When you made that air check all those years ago, did
>> you ever think it might be preserved in a historical archive?
>>
>> I know the Virginia Historical Society has the WRVA archive. WRVA has a
>> very big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be
>> a nice compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve
>> looked at may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with
>> as much saved at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come
>> across additional items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.
>>
>> When we get settled, I hope to get back to re-editing the WJMA
>> documentary. I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding
>> images I didn’t have for the first version, replacing some low resolution
>> images with newer scans, and adding some WJMA audio.
>>
>> Ross
>> 71-86
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Ross Hunter

Ralph,

No basements in this area, but there is some garage space available.

Ross

On Nov 15, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Ralph Graves via Groups.Io <Rgraves321@...> wrote:

Can't argue with being closer to family. But you will be missed. I'm assuming your new home has a basement for the H0 scale layout you finally have time to build...

Ralph Graves

From: Barbara Potter-Drinkwater via Groups.Io <willowdrinkwater@...>
Sent: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 8:03 pm

> On Nov 14, 2018, at 1:23 PM, Les Myers <baroque@...> wrote:
>
> I guess that you prove that no one is a "fixture." But congratulations from someone who listened to your audition (If memory serves, I may have even opened the mic for you to read reeeal goood). I'm glad to hear that work on the WJAM archives will continue. I send my best wishes to you and Carol. Your reasons for leaving Orange make good sense, although the community will be just a teensy less gooood.
>
> Cheers from Maine where it is about 25 degrees with 40 mph wind gusts.  You won't get that weather in SC.
>
> Les
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: jrhunter3@...
>> Sent: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:20:32 -0500
>> To: wjma@groups.io
>> Subject: [WJMA] movin' on
>>
>> Arch hired me to work at WJMA in the summer of 1971. I started on Monday
>> Aug 23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a
>> couple of years. Now, 47 years later we’re moving.
>>
>> The moving van comes today (11/14) and tomorrow we sign papers to sell
>> the house. We’re going to Lexington, South Carolina, to be closer to our
>> daughter and two grand children. It’s very bittersweet to leave Orange
>> and Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere
>> else. It’s sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a
>> part of our grand kids lives as they grow. They’re now 6 and almost 3.
>>
>> I’m taking almost all my collection of WJMA archives and memorabilia.
>> I’ve spoken to the Orange County Historical Society and they are more
>> than willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the
>> space to store physical materials, but are happy to take digitized files.
>> I’ll need to get back to scanning and digitizing. The Historical Society
>> thinks that the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the
>> physical archives. When you made that air check all those years ago, did
>> you ever think it might be preserved in a historical archive?
>>
>> I know the Virginia Historical Society has the WRVA archive. WRVA has a
>> very big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be
>> a nice compliment from a small market perspective. Over the years, I’ve
>> looked at may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with
>> as much saved at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come
>> across additional items you’ve saved, please allow me to make a copy.
>>
>> When we get settled, I hope to get back to re-editing the WJMA
>> documentary. I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding
>> images I didn’t have for the first version, replacing some low resolution
>> images with newer scans, and adding some WJMA audio.
>>
>> Ross
>> 71-86
>>
>
>
>
>
>

Mary Thompson

Hi, Ross & Carol,

'The times, they are a-changing'  

Like Clint I am happy that you are with your family in South Carolina -while- I am sad that you have left the area.

It was great to see you and other 'JMA friends at Phil's retirement party this summer.  (That seems like it was a year ago!  It can't be almost December already, can it?)

Hope all is going well.  I am sure you both will have stories to tell once all is settled.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Moving In!  Enjoy This Great New Chapter in Your Lives.

All the best,  Mary T ('75 - '79)

Chuck Brown

Ross, I don't know if this message was sent back to you or not. It looks a
little odd that it came back to my mailbox like this. I'm sending it again
in case it didn't go through the first time, if it did, just disregard this
second letter.

Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Chuck Brown

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:26 AM

Best to you and yours
Chuck Brown

Ross
71-86

Ross Hunter

Chuck,

I did get this message a few days ago.

Ross

On Nov 20, 2018, at 9:58 AM, Chuck Brown <chuck1927@...> wrote:

Ross, I don't know if this message was sent back to you or not. It looks a
little odd that it came back to my mailbox like this. I'm sending it again
in case it didn't go through the first time, if it did, just disregard this
second letter.

Chuck Brown

Best to you and yours
Chuck Brown

Ross
71-86

Chuck Brown

OK----GOOD!!!

Chuck

Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 12:10 PM

Chuck,

I did get this message a few days ago.

Ross

On Nov 20, 2018, at 9:58 AM, Chuck Brown <chuck1927@...> wrote:

Ross, I don't know if this message was sent back to you or not. It looks
a
little odd that it came back to my mailbox like this. I'm sending it
again
in case it didn't go through the first time, if it did, just disregard
this
second letter.

Chuck Brown

Best to you and yours
Chuck Brown

Aug
23 thinking Orange would be a good place to start and I might stay a
couple

Virginia, a place both Carol and I have lived longer than anywhere else.
It’s
sad to leave so many friends. It will be nice to be more a part of our
grand

willing to take the collection of WJMA history. They don’t have the space
to
the Virginia Historical Society may be interested in the physical
archives.

very
big footprint in Virginia broadcast history. WJMA’s archive would be a
nice
may radio station history web sites. I’ve never seen one with as much
saved
at WJMA. Thank you for all your contributions. If you come across
additional

documentary.
I’m making it “wide screen”, updating graphics, adding images I didn’t
have

Ross
71-86