Topics

John Cregg recollections / photos / audio ?

John Muller

Hello WJMA alumni,

I am an adoptee and have recently discovered through an Ancestry DNA test that I am an the offspring of John Cregg of WJMA 64-73 sports fame. In the process, I have discovered a half-brother who is also John's son and a fellow adoptee. We were both born during his time at WJMA. From communication with John's sister, it appears neither of our stories was known to her. My new brother and I are seeking any information anyone could share that might fill out a pretty blank canvas about John - we have little other than some yearbook photos, birth, marriage (3) dates, death, and his time of employment at WJMA and military service.

Thank you, and looking forward to anything anyone can offer,

John Muller

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

John,

I worked with your father from the time I joined WJMA in August 1971 until he left the station in 1973. He was working mornings and I was working nights, so we didn’t see each other very often at work. I don’t recall where he went when he left. There was a time some years later when a business letter arrived at WJMA. On the envelope was “Hi Arch…John”. Arch Harrison was the owner of the station. Apparently your father was working for the Postal Service in Denver and the letter past through his hands. Kind of amazing.

There were a number of occasions between 71 and 73 when I would have dinner with John and Linda at their house just off VA 20 near Barboursville. I’m not sure I could find the spot today. There was another couple who often came to those dinners. I recall they lived in Rapidan and he worked in Washington, maybe at the Pentagon. It may have been George & Elise Payton. I’m going back to very fuzzy memories this.

 I remember John telling me his mother was secretary for Edgar Shannon who was president of the University of Virginia. I don’t recall her first name.

I don’t think there is any audio of your father, but there are some pictures on the WJMA website:

Sorry I can’t provide more. There are others on this list who worked with your father and might be able to give you more information.