Topics

Giving thanks

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

I’ve scanned and uploaded Arch’s final two Postscripts from March 29 and 30, 1984. This link will take you to the first of seven pages. http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA photos/WJMA printed items/pages/page_36.html

Also, Ann Harrison Smith found that Arch had saved the AP wire flash from 11/22/1963. It’s here: http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA photos/WJMA printed items/pages/page_9.html

Thanks Ross. It was great to read these. I imagine that most of them were never saved but a compilation would make interesting reading.

My memory of Arch's Post Scripts is that they were varied. They ranged from serious, sad, thoughtful, humorous, mundane (The Madison Fire Company will be having an apple butter festival this Saturday), instructive, and even very occasionally mildly annoyed.

I also recall (or I think I do anyway) a different tag line from back in the 1970's, something like: That's all for today, keep care of yourselves, remember we're all out there together.

Mark Johnson
81-84 (February 29 1984 to be exact)

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

Mark,

There are a few more in a box I found recently. Also some obituaries and editorials. I’ll see if I can get them all scanned and posted.

I agree with your recollection of the Postscript subject matter, but I don’t clearly recall varied tag lines.

Feb 29, eh? You got an extra day’s pay.

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

On Nov 23, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Mark Johnson rmj142@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Thanks Ross. It was great to read these. I imagine that most of them were never saved but a compilation would make interesting reading.

My memory of Arch's Post Scripts is that they were varied. They ranged from serious, sad, thoughtful, humorous, mundane (The Madison Fire Company will be having an apple butter festival this Saturday), instructive, and even very occasionally mildly annoyed.

I also recall (or I think I do anyway) a different tag line from back in the 1970's , something like: That's all for today, keep care of yourselves, remember we're all out there together.

Mark Johnson
81-84 (February 29 1984 to be exact)

Reid Harrison

That was great, Ross. Thanks for posting, and looking forward to others.  (And as you may recall, he did a postscript to a life for his funeral!)
Happy Thanksgiving to all the WJMA family out there in radio land!

On Nov 23, 2017, at 11:20, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

[...]

I don’t think I have a copy of that last Postscript. Do you have a copy you could send?

On Nov 23, 2017, at 3:46 PM, Reid Harrison harrison.reid@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

[...]

Les Myers

Arch's personality leaps off these pages! What a treasure. Thank you for sharing these.
I was present when WJMA signed on the FM and the excitement in that little control room when Arch (or Gene) flipped the switch to turn it on. And adding "FM" to the call letter "stream."

Les ('71-'73) and "adjunct producer" for a few years after that.

From: "Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA]" <WJMA@...>
Date: 11/24/17 7:47 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: WJMA@...
Subject: Re: [WJMA] Giving thanks

I assume WJMA had switched to AP by late 1963, but I don’t know for certain. Part of the teletype sheet has “UPR94” on it. Does that indicate United Press?

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

On Nov 23, 2017, at 11:20 PM, clh@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

>  Arch had saved the AP wire flash from 11/22/1963.

He told us that the wire service would occasionally send signals to ring a bell in the teletype if there was some important bit of news, and that this transmission was preceded by an unheard-of cacophony of bell-ringing that brought everyone over to the machine.

Had WJMA switched from UPI to AP at this point?

Ann Harrison Walker

This is not my favorite source of information, but it gives an account of how UPI scooped the AP on the day that President Kennedy was shot.

Ann Harrison
(Miss Priority Message)

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 10:57 AM, formwalt formwalt@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

I believe UPR stands for United Press Release, a sequential number preceeding each UPI Bulletin (a flash news item).  WJMA was using UPS radio wire service until at least the spring of 1969. I was working for both WJMA in Orange and WELK in Charlottesville at that time, and these stations used UPI and AP, respectively.

There was a transition period for a month or so when we had both UPI and AP teletype machines clacking away just outside the WJMA studio. The UPI machine used a purple ribbon on grayish white paper and the AP counterpart, black on canary yellow paper.

The UPI machine had become a bit unreliable, with ribbon and paper feed problems. Many times we read the previous hour's news or sports reports because of these problems (not just because we forgot to splice in a new box of paper in time). ☺  Arch was concerned about reliability problems after UPI maintenance service had not corrected recurring problems. The UPS printout was also a less clear font image and the noise it made could be heard in the broadcast studio (especially the bell) as it was much louder than the AP box.

Alex Formwalt
'67 - '70

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

I assume WJMA had switched to AP by late 1963, but I don’t know for certain. Part of the teletype sheet has “UPR94” on it. Does that indicate United Press?

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

On Nov 23, 2017, at 11:20 PM, clh@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

>  Arch had saved the AP wire flash from 11/22/1963.

He told us that the wire service would occasionally send signals to ring a bell in the teletype if there was some important bit of news, and that this transmission was preceded by an unheard-of cacophony of bell-ringing that brought everyone over to the machine.

Had WJMA switched from UPI to AP at this point?

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

Thanks for the details, Alex.

Good story from Ann, too.