Topics

church broadcasts

Ross Hunter

I mistakenly posted this to the old WJMA Yahoo groups list yesterday. Since the move to groups.io a few email addresses have changed, so not everyone from the old Yahoo group would have seen this message. If this is the second time you’re getting the message, please excuse my error.

Ross
================

A few weeks ago, Ralph Graves contacted me to see if the WJMA archives had anything relating to a Sunday broadcast of a church service from Orange Presbyterian Church. He’s on a committee to observe the church’s 175th anniversary.

I don’t have anything specific to OPC or any other church broadcast. The best I can do is this short clip from Mark Johnson of the standard broadcast opening. http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA audio/WJMA other/Church broadcast open 1984.mp3

I replied to Ralph: "I’ve never seen anything about the beginning of the broadcasts. I'm pretty sure they were underway when I arrived in August of 1971. I have all of Arch’s “Radio Ramblins’” pieces published in the Review. He often wrote about new programs. I don’t recall any that mention the start of the Sunday church broadcasts. It’s possible John LeGarde, father of Swap Shop, would have something tucked away in his memory. I’ve copied him on this response.”

Here’s John’s reply:
===============================
Ross, you honor me by thinking I can remember intimate details about church broadcasts dating back to 1961!
Back then we used a line amp with two mic inputs and one line output; an ugly black box that, once set up, had only one feature that required attention two times per Sunday - an on/off switch.
Tapes? No! This was live stuff!
I don't recall anything that stands out as far as the Presbyterians were concerned except that they had a minister who was a ventriloquist!
There was another church, however, that was unforgettable - the minister insisted that the more microphones used, the better the broadcast. One Sunday he was pleased to see FOUR  mics; little did he know that only ONE mic was live, the other three were duds. That preacher assumed that it was the best church service ever!
Sorry I can't be more helpful. If any tapes exist, they weren't produced by WJMA. In retrospect it would be nice to have a bigger and better audio history.
==============================

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

Andy Lax

Ross,
 Are used to do a lot of Sunday morning shifts in the 1970s. I do not recall any of the church services being taped.
Andy Lax
PS:   One time at the Episcopalian church, someone must've kicked the black box because the church service suddenly went out a few minutes after it started. I put on a long record, jumped into my car, drove to the church, went in through the side door and crawled across the choir area in front of the choir to fix it. Got a lot of strange looks.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:26 AM Ross Hunter via Groups.Io <jrhunter3=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Oops. "I used to".

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:13 PM Andy Lax via Groups.Io <andywlax=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Woody Purcell

During my time (59-61) I recall 2 church services: 1. A black live in-studio probably @ 0900 and then a remote Live from a protestant local church ( for the “shut-in”)@ 1100. I Don’t recall if it was always from OPC or not.

Woody Purcell

On Jul 12, 2019, at 3:13 PM, Andy Lax <andywlax@...> wrote:

[...]

Les Myers

I love this story. God would have smiled.

Les

[...]

Molly Hoffman

Atch sang in he Episcopal choir. Was he singing that Sunday?
Molly Hoffman

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 11:34 AM Les Myers <baroque@...> wrote:
[...]

Probably. But he wouldn't have noticed because he was not listening to the radio...

[...]

Barbara Potter-Drinkwater

Ah, the adventures of being at WJMA.
Last night at the Orange American Legion Baseball game, Moose Mallory told me about many games heard over the radio.  Bill Little certainly remembers those.
Barbara (Willow) Potter Drinkwater '77

[...]

Clint Estes

Like many, I too did Sunday mornings for a couple of years.  One Sunday after arriving and signing on it began to snow quite a bit.  I decided while "The Bapitst Hour" tape was playing I would go measure the snow depth and share my findings at the next break.  Well, I forgot that the door locked behind me and I left my keys in the control room.  The Baptist Hour was  only a 30 minute tape (for some reason) and in 1981 no cell phones!  I had to wake John Henry Ryder and his family next door to call Ross to come let me back in.  Embarrased, cold, dead air and calls were coming in to cancel church services.  I learned my lesson that day.  Thanks for the rescue Ross Hunter!

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Monday, July 22, 2019 Barbara Potter-Drinkwater via Groups.Io <WJMA@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Laurie McCullough

Clint— I remember that snow episode!
Laurie

On 23 Jul 2019, at 12:41 AM, Clint Estes via Groups.Io <Clestes@...> wrote:

[...]

One of the “benefits” of living close to the station. :-)

On Jul 23, 2019, at 12:41 AM, Clint Estes via Groups.Io <Clestes@...> wrote:

[...]

Cool story, Clint!
Andy

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 12:43 AM Clint Estes via Groups.Io <Clestes=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Chap Harrison

I have a pretty clear memory of his telling us about having been in the choir when someone from the station scooted across the floor to fix the connection. IIRC, the box was right there on the floor along with the basses and the tenors (Lyne Shackelford, ACH, Frank Walker).

Chap

On Jul 22, 2019, at 1:02 PM, Les Myers <baroque@...> wrote:

[...]

Yep, that was me. Bizarrely, I have no recollection of Arch being in the choir when this happened.
Andy

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 11:18 AM Chap Harrison via Groups.Io <chap.harrison=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mark Johnson

From my time on Sunday morning, I recall once that something didn't work and we just bagged it. I don't know if a switch wasn't flipped or the phone line was bad or what.

I can remember Bob Ward from the Lutheran Church calling prior to the start of services to make sure everything was working.

When I was there the church service had its own button below a pot on the board, so no need for patch cords. You just pushed the button and it was there.

Just before the show started it was always kind of fun to listen in (with the pot in the cue position) to the general noise made by people entering the building, snips of conversation, laughter, miscellaneous bangs and clunks etc. The fact that this passed as "fun" gives an indication of how ponderous Sunday mornings were.

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019, 1:44:22 PM EDT, Andy Lax <andywlax@...> wrote:

[...]

Mary Thompson

I was in church in the choir with Arch, but do not remember live broadcasts.  Each Sunday after church, I would go home and have my 'dinner' and then get set to go to work at 'JMA.

I remember one Sunday afternoon especially when the flakes started
coming down and I drove to work.  I think the shift started around 2 PM.  By
the time I had signed off and was getting ready to leave, we had several
inches of snow on the ground.  My car was not equipped with snow tires.....

So, I called the sheriff's department and they sent a deputy to pick me up
(I lived not far from Main Street on Peliso).  That hill on Peliso Avenue,
just past the school is pretty steep, and the cruiser started to slide, but we made it
and I was grateful to get home safely.

The next day Phil Audibert, our news director at the time, said something
like, "I hear you had an adventurous ride home last night."

Working at Radio Orange during those years was such a great experience.

All the best ~~~ Mary T.    (1975 - 1979)

Phil Audibert

And now I have a snow story...

On a few rare occasions I had to open up.  On this particular morning, we had a major snowfall the night before.  The roads had been plowed, but there was a thin layer of snow/ice on them. It was pitch black dark outside.

As I came over the crest of the hill at Somerset, driving my light Datsun 2WD pickup, just as I started to descend a freight train came barreling through. I slammed on my brakes and went into a terrifying skid right towards the speeding train. I twisted the steering wheel one direction and then the next and at the last moment spun backwards into the ditch right by the crossing arm...hopeless stuck, but safe!

The train barreled past, and when the crossing arms lifted there was a guy in a Jeep who crossed the tracks, hooked a chain onto my front bumper, and pulled me out.  I continued on to the radio station and opened up on time. But, I aged a couple of years in 20 seconds that morning.

Phil Audibert
1976-1986

Phil Audibert
www.AudibertPhoto.com
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm
540-832-3509 (h)
540-717-5547 (c)

Bill Little

OK. Time for my snow story.

It was a Sunday sometime in the middle 1960's. Sign on time 6am Monday for me.

I was still living at my parents home at "Tobacco House Farm", near the very end of Spicer's Mill Road. The snow started sometime in late afternoon Sunday and started to pile up; by 7pm our drive was impassable and I knew I'd never be able to drive to work.

So, about 8pm I started walking and walked up to Route 20 hoping maybe to catch a ride in to Orange, but the snow was so deep no cars ever came along, and either plows weren't working or they were out on Route 15. So I ended up walking all the way to town and then down Montevista to the radio station and I guess it was about midnight. No sleeping bag, no nothing, so I crawled up on a desk and finally went to sleep.

Now here's the good part. Around 3am (I know because I looked at the clock) the phone rang and woke me up Guess what the caller wanted! "Is there going to be any school today?" I can't repeat what I said in answer. Anyway, I dropped the phone on the floor and tried to go back to sleep. I did get signed on at 6, but shortly after that the power went off all over town and almost everywhere in the area. My folks were out of power for 7 days with their fireplace all they had for heating and cooking. If I remember correctly I slept for several nights at a friends' home (Hugh Darnell) on Piedmont street because it was impossible to get home.

Another Monday morning when I was scheduled to sign on I was stuck on a train heading south between Washington DC and Manassas. (Yes, the trains did stop in Orange at that time)  It was 10pm and the snow was too deep to go on; no telegraph, no phones, just screwed. When I didn't show up, Arch evidently called John Cregg; he was on the air when I finally got to the station at 11am

Snow stories are a lot more fun now than when they happened!

Bill Little
1960-1986

On 7/30/2019 6:00 AM, Phil Audibert via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Gary & Jane Gardner

Great stories from Phil and Bill! Thanks for sharing! Jane and Gary

Jane Gardner
301 Brooke Ave. #304
Norfolk, VA 23510
(757) 622-9719