Topics

Charlie McGinley returns to WJMA

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

Sixty seven years after he left, Charlie McGinley and his wife Trink (Katherine) returned to Orange on November 7, 2017. We met for lunch at the Silk Mill Grille. His son Howard came along as driver and Carol joined us for lunch.

After lunch and a few tall tales, we drove around town to find the house on North Madison Street where Charlie had lived. We went by the location of DeVivi’s Restaurant where WJMA was located in 1949. It’s now the site of a Comfort Inn. Next we visited St Thomas’s church were they were married in 1950. Finally we went by WJMA and had a nice visit with current General Manager Kevin Dalton and Program Director Frank Wells.

It was a long day for 91 year old Charlie, but he said he loved it.

Charlie McGinley joined the WJMA Radio staff in September, 1949 a week after the station first signed on September 10. Charlie left WJMA in the Fall of 1950 when called to active duty with the US Navy during the Korean War. He had served in the Navy during World War II. After returning to civilian life, he worked for three years at WSVA Radio in Harrisonburg. After that he entered Episcopal Seminary in Alexandria. His first pastoral assignment was at St Stephen’s church in Richmond. He served at other Episcopal churches in San Diego, Kansas, and Maryland. Charlie is retired and living in Maryland.

Charlie retains many fond memories of WJMA and is intensely proud of his part in putting the station on the air.

I’ve put a couple of pictures on the WJMA site.

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

Reid Harrison

Thanks, Ross.  91?  Looks like 61!

On Nov 16, 2017, at 14:14, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

[...]

Les Myers

Interesting history! I, too, worked at WSVA during what I would not label  a career high for me. But I, like Charlie, am proud to have gotten a new (public) radio station started in Birmingham.