Topics

another sleepy dusty delta day...

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Reid Harrison

Good question.

Black Friday - sorta - Steely Dan
American Pie (the day the music died)
In The Year 2525 (not a date exactly)
Sunday Bloody Sunday

On Jun 3, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Ann Harrison Walker

One that I can still hear echoing down the halls at WJMA also mentions the third of June: Desiree by Neil Diamond.

Also, that little ol' Convoy formed in the dark of the moon on the sixth of June.

Miss Message

On Wednesday, June 3, 2015, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Laurie McCullough

Yankee Doodle Dandy- born on the 4th of July- not a vey creative choice, but now that you brought this up I'll be thinking about it all day
Laurie

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Laurie McCullough

First of December was covered with snow-- Sweet Baby James, James Taylor--- This is killin' me, Ross!

Laurie

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Reid Harrison

Ah good one!!!

On Jun 3, 2015, at 1:45 PM, Laurie McCullough lmccullough22@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

First of December was covered with snow-- Sweet Baby James, James Taylor--- This is killin' me, Ross!

Laurie

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 6:16 AM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Chap Harrison

"Desiree" by Neil Diamond also refers to the third of June.

On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:16 AM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Chap Harrison

Gillian Welch - "The 14th of April" (Lincoln assassination)

On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:16 AM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Ross Hunter <ross@...>

Great suggestions, keep 'em coming. I'm making a list and will post it when this thread runs out.

I've started a sub list of songs mentioning days of the week. Feed free to mention those, too.

Ross

On Jun 3, 2015, at 8:30 AM, 'Chapman L. Harrison' chap.harrison@... [WJMA] wrote:

Gillian Welch - "The 14th of April" (Lincoln assassination)

On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:16 AM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

------
Dominion Market Research-mailing services for Central Virginia
309 N Madison Rd
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
USA

1-540-672-2327   1-800-328-2588   fax: 1-540-672-0296

Reid Harrison

Virgil Caine is my name and I drove on the Danville train
'Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again.
In the winter of '65, we were hungry, just barely alive.
By May the 10th, Richmond had fell.
It's a time I remember, oh so well.

The night they drove old Dixie down
And all the bells were ringing,
The night they drove old Dixie down
And all the people were singing
They went, "Na,na,na.na,
Na na na na na na na na na.''

Read more: Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down Lyrics | MetroLyrics

On Jun 3, 2015, at 2:30 PM, 'Chapman L. Harrison' chap.harrison@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Gillian Welch - "The 14th of April" (Lincoln assassination)

On Jun 3, 2015, at 4:16 AM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Chap Harrison

Days of week: Lady Madonna

(Fun fact: shortly after Lady Madonna was released, Arch Harrison wrote a spot for one of the used car dealerships exhorting us to come on down and "see-e-e how they run-n-n")

On Jun 3, 2015, at 6:36 AM, Ross Hunter ross@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Reid Harrison

Hm… I wonder why Joan Baez changed the lyrics to “I took the train to Richmond that fell”

On Jun 3, 2015, at 2:36 PM, Reid Harrison <harrison.reid@...> wrote:

[...]

I think it must be because the grammar gave her the heebie-jeebies. "Richmond had fell," indeed.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Reid Harrison harrison.reid@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

[...]

Does the "Twelfth of Never" count?

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Convoy - CW McCall

"Arizona, Noon, on the 7th of June when they highballed over the pass".

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Reid Harrison

Nice one, Mark!

(Ann Harrison, I bet you’re kicking yourself for missing that one!)

On Jun 3, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Mark Johnson rmj142@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Convoy - CW McCall

"Arizona, Noon, on the 7th of June when they highballed over the pass".

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Ann Harrison Walker

Uhhh. Scroll back through the responses, Reeyud.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Reid Harrison harrison.reid@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Nice one, Mark!

(Ann Harrison, I bet you’re kicking yourself for missing that one!)

On Jun 3, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Mark Johnson rmj142@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Convoy - CW McCall

"Arizona, Noon, on the 7th of June when they highballed over the pass".

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Ralph Graves

Another Bobby Gentry song (written by Harry Nilsson)

Rainmaker

"First day in August, last rain was in May, when the rainmaker came to Kansas in the middle of a dusty day."

Temptations: Papa Was a Rolling Stone (3rd of September)

Dan Fogelberg - Same Old Lang Syne (Dec. 24)

Ralph

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Gary & Jane Gardner

Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams; December 1963  by The Four Seasons; 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) by Bruce Springsteen; That Sunday, That Summer by Nat King Cole; and Where Did Robinson Crusoe Go with Friday on Saturday Night by Ian Whitcomb. As the lyric has it, "thousands of years ago, maybe more." and I'm still thinking. Gary

"Rgraves321@... [WJMA]" <WJMA@...> wrote:

Another Bobby Gentry song (written by Harry Nilsson)

Rainmaker

"First day in August, last rain was in May, when the rainmaker came to Kansas in the middle of a dusty day."

Temptations: Papa Was a Rolling Stone (3rd of September)

Dan Fogelberg - Same Old Lang Syne (Dec. 24)

Ralph

The third of June brings to mind “Ode to Billie Joe”. I’ve always thought about putting together a list of songs that refer to a specific date.

June 3—Ode to Billie Joe

Suggestions?

Len Cowherd

"Superior," they said, "never gives up her dead

when the gales of November come early!"