Topics

Swap Shop memories

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

I put one of Les Myers' photos of the Open Air Swap Shop on the "You might be from Orange..." page on Swap Shop. It's the second picture from the left on this page: <https://picasaweb.google.com/103192993386495037057/WJMASWAPSHOPAndSTUDIOSHOTS?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIOwh9q3peOePQ&feat=directlink>

Here are some of the comments.

My grandmother used to listen to the Swap Shop on WJMA. Talking was not allowed when that was on.

My dad, Jack Samuels Jr used to make us listen in the car. Loved it!

I remember Swap Shop as a boy. Mom and Dad listened in looking for a bargain. It was a different world back then, and definitely a better one.

I grew up with that show on WJMA it was great

I listened religiously with my grandmother. My favorite swap of all time was a farmer who traded 5 bushels of sweet potatoes for a used Ford transmission.

As a kid, I remember them doing the radio Swap Shop and bingo on the radio on WJMA.

I think I see the mood ring I lost.

I think I see that old 8 track player. Did you sell that thing on Swap Shop ?!?!?

Les Myers <blueberry47@...>

What a hoot!
Thanks!

[...]

Get your own FREE website and domain with business email solutions, click here

Mark Johnson

In casting my mind back three decades and more I recall that the Swap Shop producer wrote each item down on an index card with the seller's phone number. The cards were kept in a little green tin box for a few days so people could call and ask for the number of an item. In the evenings this duty fell to the on air announcer. Usually the process went smoothly but occasionally hearsay would result in a caller inquiring about an item that didn't exist or was substantially different than they thought or had been told.

Dominion Market Research <ross@...>

There might have been an index card system at some point, but not when I was doing the show.

When I was doing Swap Shop, Pat Watson would bring to the control room a spiral notebook and any mail that had come in. Pat would screen the calls and signal which lines were for Swap Shop. The host (me) would take the calls and write the items in the note book as the show went along. I'm pretty sure that was the system I inherited.

Each item was numbered because people would call during the show or later in the day asking for a phone number or detail of a specific call. I recall that Pat kept the notebooks at her desk for quick reference during the day.

I don't think there were many days when I'd have to tap dance to fill time between calls. I eventually got to the point where I could quickly write "vacuum" without any thought. That was initially a tough spell for me.

I don't see any Swap Shop audio on the web site. I should do something about that. I still remember 672-2225 as a regular caller.

In casting my mind back three decades and more I recall that the Swap Shop producer wrote each item down on an index card with the seller's phone number. The cards were kept in a little green tin box for a few days so people could call and ask for the number of an item. In the evenings this duty fell to the on air announcer. Usually the process went smoothly but occasionally hearsay would result in a caller inquiring about an item that didn't exist or was substantially different than they thought or had been told.

Dominion Market Research-mailing services for Central Virginia
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
USA
1-540-672-2327 1-800-328-2588 fax: 1-540-672-0296
http://www.dmrmail.com
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Go Green ! Print only as needed.

Lax, Andrew <ALax@...>

Great memory, Ross.  I remember the spiral notebook, but had forgotten the details.

Andy 70-75

--
Dominion Market Research-mailing services for Central Virginia
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
USA
1-540-672-2327 1-800-328-2588 fax: 1-540-672-0296
http://www.dmrmail.com
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Go Green ! Print only as needed.

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any US Federal Tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (I) avoiding penalties under the internal revenue code or (II) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. This advice may not be forwarded (other than within the taxpayer to which it has been sent) without our express written consent. To read more about this disclosure, please see http://www.mcnair.net/D1D330/portalresource/IRS_Circular_230.pdf

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication (including any attachments) is being sent by or on behalf of a lawyer or law firm and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. The sender does not intend to waive any privilege, including the attorney-client privilege, that may attach to this communication. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to intercept, read, print, retain, copy, forward or disseminate this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete this communication and all copies.

Clint Estes

Wow Mark the green index box sounds familiar, but I remember a spiral notebook with dates at the top of the page that when I worked Sunday or Saturdays I would look through to get the information needed.  The only thing I had to overcome was being able to read the handwriting in the notebook.

                                                       Clint

In casting my mind back three decades and more I recall that the Swap Shop producer wrote each item down on an index card with the seller's phone number. The cards were kept in a little green tin box for a few days so people could call and ask for the number of an item. In the evenings this duty fell to the on air announcer. Usually the process went smoothly but occasionally hearsay would result in a caller inquiring about an item that didn't exist or was substantially different than they thought or had been told.

My memory is from the Phil Goodwin / Marisa Murphy era.

To: WJMA@...
Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 10:58 AM

[...]

Well I'm about ten years past the point of thinking my memory is infallible. I may be conflating two different things here, but I definitely remember a little green box filled with Swap Shop related index cards. Didn't we sell classifieds on Swap Shop? Maybe the box held paid adverts.

To: WJMA@...
Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 1:36 PM

Wow Mark the green index box sounds familiar, but
I remember a spiral notebook with dates at the top of the
page that when I worked Sunday or Saturdays I would look
through to get the information needed.  The only thing
I had to overcome was being able to read the
handwriting in the notebook.

Clint

Alex Formwalt

Mark - The box container cards for Swap Shop were still in use as late as 1969 from my recollections. Pat Watson transcribed the word descriptions from letters received in the mail - one card per customer. Many of the letters received were hand written and difficult to read - even the telephone numbers were a challenge. There had been a few interesting announcer interpretations from hand written letters so Pat took on the task to fix that. The result was a smoother running, more professional sounding show. Either Pat or the duty announcer used the notepad to transcribe on air calls and the announcer used the box card announcements to fill airtime as needed. Perhaps the card system was not used by everyone. Or did we have enough calls that we stopped accepting letters? Seems there were several changes in studio hardware, procedures, etc that happened in early 70's.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: Mark Johnson <rmj142@...>
Sender: WJMA@...
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:17:03 -0700 (PDT)
To: <WJMA@...>
ReplyTo: WJMA@...

To: WJMA@...
Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 1:36 PM

Wow Mark the green index box sounds familiar, but
I remember a spiral notebook with dates at the top of the
page that when I worked Sunday or Saturdays I would look
through to get the information needed.  The only thing
I had to overcome was being able to read the
handwriting in the notebook.

Clint

Barbara Potter-Drinkwater

I produced the Swap Shop in 1978 and loved every minute of it.  I even got a sewing machine for 10 bales of hay, and a pool table for the same.
Barbara (Willow) Drinkwater
11232 Cedar Hill Road
Gordonsville, VA 22942
434-249-6892 (cell)
540-832-3368 (home)

Believer in people passionately playing in partnership moment by moment by moment

Wow Mark the green index box sounds familiar, but I remember a spiral notebook with dates at the top of the page that when I worked Sunday or Saturdays I would look through to get the information needed.  The only thing I had to overcome was being able to read the handwriting in the notebook.

                                                       Clint

In casting my mind back three decades and more I recall that the Swap Shop producer wrote each item down on an index card with the seller's phone number. The cards were kept in a little green tin box for a few days so people could call and ask for the number of an item. In the evenings this duty fell to the on air announcer. Usually the process went smoothly but occasionally hearsay would result in a caller inquiring about an item that didn't exist or was substantially different than they thought or had been told.

Al Gaige

I did not enjoy hosting Swap Shop when I was there in the late 80's, early 90's...had one lady say she had a "Sh*t load of stuff"...did any else have one of Carlin's words get on the air?

al gaige

To: WJMA@...

To: WJMA@...

Wow Mark the green index box sounds familiar, but I remember a spiral notebook with dates at the top of the page that when I worked Sunday or Saturdays I would look through to get the information needed.  The only thing I had to overcome was being able to read the handwriting in the notebook.

                                                       Clint

In casting my mind back three decades and more I recall that the Swap Shop producer wrote each item down on an index card with the seller's phone number. The cards were kept in a little green tin box for a few days so people could call and ask for the number of an item. In the evenings this duty fell to the on air announcer. Usually the process went smoothly but occasionally hearsay would result in a caller inquiring about an item that didn't exist or was substantially different than they thought or had been told.

Ah, I'm glad someone besides me remembers a box of index cards!

To: WJMA@...
Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 5:59 PM

[...]
AT&TFrom: Mark Johnson
<rmj142@...>