Topics

new photos from the McGinley collection

Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>

I have posted some new photos from Charlie McGinley. Charlie was the Assistant Manager of WJMA from the day it first signed on until August of 1950. The new photos begin in the second row of this page: <http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/index.html>

Charlie wrote about the image of three men at the Silk Mill:

"We were going to the silk mill for some kind of an interview with the owner or manager. What comes to mind is that Art plugged in the recorder and it burned out. It was a 220 outlet and not 110. The owner/manager was furious with someone in his employee for not knowing of this outlet being "high-charged". "

I asked Charlie about the tags on a board in the Boyd Schellinger picture and he wrote:

"A very vague recollection but I believe that was a traffic board and it was in the hallway between the front part of the building and the control room. That is also where the limited record library was located."

Boyd Schellinger used the name Boyd Schilling on the air. Charlie wrote:

"Seeing Boyd Schellinger's picture brought something to mind. "Off the record", so to speak.... I believe giving him an on-air name of Boyd Schilling was Art's idea. He, Art, seemed to think that Schellinger was a bit "too German-sounding", reflecting a certain uncomfortableness of Art's part about it being '49 and so soon after WWII. Can't remember precisely. Think Art was either still a bit prejudiced re: Germans or whatever. His "Old Timer" routine was prompted or based on some old fellow he knew who always referred to "those nastys"."

Art Livick was in the Marines in WWII. He served in the Pacific and was wounded on Okinawa.

I know there's a problem with the modern day Silk Mill photo caption. Please let me know about errors you may see so I can fix them.

That traffic system looks complicated. Unless it was one created by WJMA it was probably a system used by other broadcasters. Perhaps more can be learned about it from other radio historians.

The clothes worn in the Silk Mill photo are great. Especially the blousy pants and Art's tie.

From: Ross Hunter <<mailto:rossgroups%40verizon.net>rossgroups@...>
To: <mailto:WJMA%40yahoogroups.com>WJMA@...
Date: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:27 AM

Dominion Market Research <ross@...>

I contacted Lou Dean, long time WRVA employee (1957-2000) to see if
he might know anything about the "tag" system in the picture.
<http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/pages/page_13.html>
Here's his reply.

My first thought at seeing the picture you sent was that it was some
form of traffic system for arranging commercials. But the tags are
too regularly spaced for that. No, I never saw what the picture shows.
From my experience, though, it seems that each station had its own
way of doing things, from the simple to the sophisticated. Today, of
course, all stations are run by computer: the traffic system, the
phone system, even the on-air sound, is run by computer. And while
systems differ, the number of different systems is few.

I'll see if I can find some radio newsgroups that might have an idea.

From: Ross Hunter <<mailto:rossgroups%40verizon.net>rossgroups@...>
To: <mailto:WJMA%40yahoogroups.com>WJMA@...
Date: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:27 AM

<<http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/index.html>http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/index.html>

picture and he wrote:

[...]

Dominion Market Research-mailing services for Central Virginia
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
USA
1-540-672-2327 1-800-328-2588 fax: 1-540-672-0296
http://www.dmrmail.com
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Go Green ! Print only as needed.

Mark Johnson

My first thought was that it could have been a music rotation system but I have no idea if those were around in that detailed a form 65 years ago.

From: Ross Hunter <<mailto:rossgroups%40verizon.net>rossgroups@...>
To: <mailto:WJMA%40yahoogroups.com>WJMA@...
Date: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:27 AM

picture and he wrote:

[...]

Alex Formwalt

Ross, all -

We had a similar system used when I worked at WCHV/WCCV in Charlottesville.

It was a master program schedule used to plan advertising, programs and commercials.

Provided flexibility in rearranging the planned week of announcements.

Also helped ensure all programs and time slots were sold, FCC requirements met, etc.

This WJMA one is pretty ingenious in the years long before computers and automation.

There are 7 rows (days of week), with fewer in the first row (Sunday with later sign on and commercial segments didn't run until the afternoon).

There is a scale at the top (half hour increments of the day, but not tightly controlled like today's computers).

Cards are color coded (could be type of programming - morning, news, roadshow, etc). Dark cards are around noon news, with something added for Mon, Wed and Fri..

Each card has similar typing - perhaps common "sold" sponsors or program segment names.

So, I believe Lou is pretty close - this could be the station master weekly plan - a pre-scheduling system, from which program manager and sales could see the big picture.

My only question was why Boyd could not find a regular length necktie at the May-Rudisill Store on Main Street in 1949-50.

Did he cut the necktie to a shorter length on purpose?.

Maybe it's consistent with the rolled up sleeves. "We're working here! Safety first - no ties in the turntables!" :0(

Some of us folded and tucked the necktie ends in between buttons of the shirt back in the 60's.

But we bought regular length ties. :-)

From: Ross Hunter <<mailto:rossgroups%40verizon.net>rossgroups@... <mailto:rossgroups%40verizon.net> >
To: <mailto:WJMA%40yahoogroups.com>WJMA@... <mailto:WJMA%40yahoogroups.com>
Date: Saturday, March 16, 2013, 11:27 AM

<<http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/index.htmlhttp://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/index.html <http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/index.htmlhttp:/www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA%20photos/WJMA%20people/index.html> >