Topics

Digest Number 348

Phil Audibert

In a message dated 8/14/2004 9:36:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
WJMA@... writes:

The Dark Ages of telephone service

I still remember the phone number when I was a small child living in rural
New England...HEmlock 5-9292.

We moved to Gordonsville when I was eight, and I remember vividly being able
to call anyone within the Gordonsville exchange (832) by dialing the last
four digits. In fact, you could dial three because back then everyone's four
digit number started with a "2." Ours was 2225 and it remained that way until
we sold Tivoli in 1999. Look up any long standing resident's phone number in
Gordonsville and I'll bet you their four digit number starts with a "2."

And yes, a call to Orange was indeed a long distance affair requiring the
services of the operator. I also remember doing an interview with some phone
company people, and they told me that whenever WJMA had a call in contest, the
mechanical switching in the building on Bellview would go crazy, effectively
rendering the town of Orange incommunicado for a brief moment.

Phil Audibert
'76-'86

JWhitten@...

Did anyone as a child get in trouble for listening in on a party line?

It seems a bit silly now that people have private conversations in public places on their cell phone.

Thank goodness for the Amtrak Quiet Car.

[...]

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Listen to Internet Radio! Access to your favorite Artists!
Click to listen to LAUNCHcast now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/7ZDxEA/GARHAA/kkyPAA/iPMolB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> ........................................................................

Yahoo! Groups Links

Janet Hague McKay

When I was in high school, I lived in St. John's Newfoundland. The phone
numbers there were very strange. We had numbers that were four, five and six
digits and letters. My number was 7878A. One of my friend's was 90965A. The
number to call the base was 4113!
When I first moved to Gordonsville, you could still call Gordonsville
numbers by dialing 2 and the last four digits. My number was 832-2788. Orange
Tire and Recap was 672-2788. Every Saturday morning I would be awakened by the
phone and when I answered it would be some man in Gordonsville who out of habit
dialed 2-2788 and wanted tires! Of course it was always very early Saturday
morning when they called.

Janet McKay (Hague)
86-87

WJMA@... writes:

[...]

Leri <msleri@...>

I had a party line in Alaska. The only one who got in trouble with it was the other party who was drunk most of the time. The shortage of sunlight in the winter tends to render even the soberest disoriented after nap time. One winter evening I was talking on the phone my drunk compadre came on the line and shouted "Is it morning or night?!?!?!" Taken aback, I scolded him and told him to get off the line. He retorted, "I will as soon as you tell me, godddammmiiittt, Is it morning or night?!?!?!"

Leri Thomas

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Les <grandmananer@...>

When I was a kid in Grove City, Pennsylvania, we had THREE-digit phone
numbers. Ours was 994.

Numerically challenged in Maine.
Les

WJMA@... writes:

[...]

Mark Johnson

--- In WJMA@..., Phlodbear@a... wrote:

We moved to Gordonsville when I was eight, and I remember vividly
being able
to call anyone within the Gordonsville exchange (832) by dialing
the last
four digits.
I remember that as well. That changed sometime in the mid-70's as I
recall.

Thanks to all who answered my query.

It is amazing how fast we forget how things used to be.