Topics

new, old items

Ross Hunter <xhunter@...>

In cleaning up some long neglected piles of stuff at home, I came across a WJMA coverage map and rate card.

The coverage map quotes US Census data and says it was updated 10/15/65. At the top of the page the copy reads: "It it's ACTION you want, it's ACTION you'll get by using WJMA's well-rounded News, Weather, and Sports broadcasts with (italics) Satisfying (end italics) middle-of-the-road music." At the bottom of the page the copy reads: "WJMA's emphasis on Local Broadcasts builds tremendous Loyalty and Response in this well-balanced Primary (0.5MV/M) 5-county $95,000,000 market...ideal for testing."

Additional copy on the sheet says: "WJMA Radio with Local Programming, Interest and Action gets thousands of people in Motion aided by Station promotion. Here are some promotion examples: Promotion A with 36,000 entrants; Promotion B with 42,000 entrants."

At the time WJMA was AM only. The phone number listed is 7263.

The rate card is #13 effective April 1, 1974. You could buy a one-time morning drive 60 second spot for $4.75, but if you bought 1,000 or more in a year the price dropped to $3.60 per spot. That's only about 20 spots a week.

You could also buy a "PIN Point Plan" (Participation In News) 60 second spot for $5.50. The Sports Broadcasters Club was available for a flat rate of $1.85 per day with billing based on the number of days in a month regardless of the number of spots run. And there was the announcer's favorite "LIP Service" spots (Local Impact Plan) where you got 30 5 second spots per day. The daily cost...$18.

The line drawing of the radio station on the front of the rate card sure looks like the work of Jean Love.

The Russ Roberts tape I recently digitized has Russ doing a great job on some LIP spots for Horsefeathers. If you didn't know about the all-you-can-eat seafood feast at Horsefeathers, you just weren't listening.

When I return from a short trip out of town, I'll scan these items and post them to the Yahoo site.

Seth Williamson <orthodox@...>

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 20:05, Ross Hunter wrote:

At the time WJMA was AM only. The phone number listed is 7263.
When I moved to Orange, about that time, you only had to dial four
digits to get anybody in town.

Seth Williamson

Les <grandmananer@...>

This was a lovely trip into nostalgia.
Thanks.

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:05:16 -0400, "Ross Hunter"
<xhunter@...> said:

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links

Clint Estes

Ross,
That is very interesting stuff. With all the sports we did back then I
remember the many carts for the SBC (sports broadcasters club). Seems there was
an entire rack or two for just local sports, Orioles, Redskins and UVa.
Those were the days.
As I believed, WJMA will no longer carry Orange Football or Virginia Tech
this fall. Fifty years for Orange football was a great run and maybe some
kind of record. It also appears that Louisa and Culpeper will loose their live
broadcasts on Friday. The station is trying to work out drop-in stories (on
Friday's) for fans on all area games from 7:30 - 10:30. Plan are not complete.

Clint
Estes
1977 -
Present