Topics

50th year of OCHS football

Dominion Market Research staff <xhunter@...>

Clint,

Strange you should bring this up. Just the other day Bill and I were trying to recall all the football play-by-play and color people .

I'd be happy to meet with you.

One idea they comes to mind would be to tie the cutaway music to the era of the speaker. Maybe Phil Goodwin could put together some :30 news headlines from various of the past 50 years. I think I may have a bit of Ted Carroll play-by-play on tape. Maybe we can locate some more tape.

I've tried without success to find both Ted Carroll and Tom Graves. Bill, Red Hager and David are both on this list. Don Little is reachable

A start for a sports broadcaster list. Please make corrections and additions. At times there have been sideline reporters, too.

1953-???? station manager
????-???? Bill & Don Little, Red Hager
????-???? Bill Little & Ted Carroll
????-???? Bill Little & David Taylor
????-???? Bill Little & Clint Estes
????-???? Clint Estes & Tom Graves
????-???? Clint Estes & Eric St James
????-???? Clint Estes & Red Shipley

Ross,
It appears the 50th year of Orange football will happen this fall
following an earlier conversation with John Shick and Joe B. We will start on the FM
(98.9) and move to the AM should the lawyers get everything worked out before
the end of the season. In 1953 WJMA broadcast its first game on 1340 and it would be ironic that the
last few games may be back on 1340 where it began! My question to you is I would like to do some interviews with former
players, coaches and broadcasters from the past 50 years as part of the pregame
and or halftime and was wondering if you and Bill would be available at lunch or
after work one day next week to discuss this. Red Shipley is willing to help
with this project and could join us to brainstorm. I had also toyed with the
idea of having former broadcasters like Bill Little, Ted Carroll, David
Taylor, Tom Graves etc., announce a quarter of play-by-play or at least do an
interview and maybe a "Wishing WJMA a happy 50th football season" promo. I have
not asked John Shick about the guest broadcaster idea but I will check with him.

I am open to any and all creative ideas from the "group" about promoting
this 50th Orange football season (and possibly the last) on WJMA so please
chime in!!!!!!!

Clint Estes
1977 - present

P.S. Many thanks to Arch way back in the fall of 1977 that gave me a chance
to do local sports and to Bill Little for the training to call a game!

Dominion Market Research
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
800-328-2588 540-672-2327 fax: 540-672-0296
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Clint Estes

Ross,
Please let me know the best day and time for you and Bill.
When I came in 1977 it was Bill and Ted and in 1978 I worked
with Bill and next was Tom Graves. I never worked with David Taylor (though I
have heard his great voice and style) so he must have been between 1973 and
1977. Is that possible?
Some other names that have worked football:
Phil Goodwin
Ken Pratt (KP)
Rev. George Frazier
David Kube
Mike Cartalaro
Mike Howes

There are many others that worked basketball including Mary
Thompson.

Mark,
Thanks for the reminder! Since 1977 I have missed 3 seasons for various
reasons. During one of those seasons Eric St. James worked with Will Gregg. I
never worked with Will. I thought it was Davis Kube, but I now believe David
Kube only worked basketball games.
Clint

Mark Johnson

Well the whole idea just won't work unless you can unearth a post-
game interview with Paul Sizemore.

--- In WJMA@..., Dominion Market Research staff
-------------
A start for a sports broadcaster list. Please make corrections and
additions. At times there have been sideline reporters, too.

1953-???? station manager
????-???? Bill & Don Little, Red Hager
????-???? Bill Little & Ted Carroll
????-???? Bill Little & David Taylor
????-???? Bill Little & Clint Estes
????-???? Clint Estes & Tom Graves
????-???? Clint Estes & Eric St James
????-???? Clint Estes & Red Shipley
/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Wasn't Clint paired with another fellow whose last name was Gregg,
unusual first name, maybe 6-8 years ago?

--- In WJMA@..., Clestes@a... wrote:
Mark,
Thanks for the reminder! Since 1977 I have missed 3 seasons
for various
reasons. During one of those seasons Eric St. James worked with
Will Gregg.

Ok, now was Will Gregg also known as Yon O'Conner or something like
that? I feel real dumb asking that but in the back of my mind......

--- In WJMA@..., Clestes@a... wrote:

Some other names that have worked football:

Rev. George Frazier
This just does not sound right. I remember Rev George, but "Frazier"
does not ring a bell.

You are right it was Rev. George Fletcher.

Clint Estes

Yon O'Connor never worked a game to my knowledge during his two stints with
WJMA though I asked him to travel with us sometimes. Will Gregg was Bob
Gregg's son that had Gregg's pharmacy on main street.

Chet Burgess <chetburgess@...>

Does the inaugural host of "The Eddie Dean Show" count as a sports
broadcaster too?

------
A start for a sports broadcaster list. Please make corrections and
additions. At times there have been sideline reporters, too.

1953-???? station manager
????-???? Bill & Don Little, Red Hager
????-???? Bill Little & Ted Carroll
????-???? Bill Little & David Taylor
????-???? Bill Little & Clint Estes
????-???? Clint Estes & Tom Graves
????-???? Clint Estes & Eric St James
????-???? Clint Estes & Red Shipley
>Ross,
> It appears the 50th year of Orange football will happen this fall
>following an earlier conversation with John Shick and Joe B. We
>will start on the FM
>(98.9) and move to the AM should the lawyers get everything worked out
before
>the end of the season.
>In 1953 WJMA broadcast its first game on 1340 and it would be ironic that
the
>last few games may be back on 1340 where it began!
> My question to you is I would like to do some interviews with former
>players, coaches and broadcasters from the past 50 years as part of
>the pregame
>and or halftime and was wondering if you and Bill would be available
>at lunch or
>after work one day next week to discuss this. Red Shipley is willing to
help
>with this project and could join us to brainstorm. I had also toyed with
the
>idea of having former broadcasters like Bill Little, Ted Carroll, David
>Taylor, Tom Graves etc., announce a quarter of play-by-play or at least
do an
>interview and maybe a "Wishing WJMA a happy 50th football season"
>promo. I have
>not asked John Shick about the guest broadcaster idea but I will
>check with him.
>
> I am open to any and all creative ideas from the "group" about
promoting
>this 50th Orange football season (and possibly the last) on WJMA so
please
>chime in!!!!!!!
>
> Clint Estes
> 1977 - present
>

>P.S. Many thanks to Arch way back in the fall of 1977 that gave me a
chance
>to do local sports and to Bill Little for the training to call a game!

Dominion Market Research
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
800-328-2588 540-672-2327 fax: 540-672-0296
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Ross Hunter <xhunter@...>

That counts in my mind. And Phil Goodwin (aka Bob Costas) was the host of the Hal Lockhart show from Louisa.

I noticed a campaign sign in Madison County the other day for Eddie Dean. He's running for the Board of Supervisors.

Clint, did you ever come up with a more complete and/or accurate list of sports announcers?

> [...]

>promo. I have
>not asked John Shick about the guest broadcaster idea but I will
>check with him.
>
> I am open to any and all creative ideas from the "group" about
promoting
>this 50th Orange football season (and possibly the last) on WJMA so
please
>chime in!!!!!!!
>
> Clint Estes
> 1977 - present
>

>P.S. Many thanks to Arch way back in the fall of 1977 that gave me a
chance
>to do local sports and to Bill Little for the training to call a game!

Dominion Market Research
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
800-328-2588 540-672-2327 fax: 540-672-0296
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

WJMA ALUMNI & FRIENDS LABOR DAY REUNION GATHERING
DATE: Sunday, August 31, 2003
WHERE 11232 Cedar Hill Road, Gordonsville, VA 22942
540-832-3368
TIME: 2 pm til whenever, eating between 5 - 7 pm
Come early...Ryegrass Rollers (Phil and fabu gals) can play at 2 pm I think!!!

DRESS: Casual...

Bring bathing suit for either pool or hottub, depending
on the weather...or if you plan on falling in the
pond if you decide to fish off the gazebo

BRING: Something to grill ( we shall have two grills) and
a dish to pass, BYOB...We have plenty of good well
water now that today we put in a new well pump!

DIRECTIONS: From Orange, take Route l5 south towards Gordonsville about 7 miles...look for white wheel with black
letters saying CEDAR HILL PARADISE FARM...rainbow and Tennessee Walker silhouette on sign. Turn right onto drive, to first house on left, (There are two houses on the right before it) and another sign like the first one. Park around back. If you come from the opposite direction, like the Gordonsville Circle, take Route 15 north one half mile to the second crossover and head back to Gordonsville and you can see the white wheel on the west side of the highway. There's also a sign in the median that says: Cedar Hill Road.

RSVP as in respond please so we can get drinks and maybe an idea of what you might be bringing so we can fill in the gaps...And hopefully RYEGRASS ROLLERS will be there and we can add to the pot to pay them...They are soooo good.

Chet Burgess <chetburgess@...>

Hey, invite Eddie Dean to the reunion. He was a star of his show, after
all!

-

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/