Topics

Thanks

Cameron Gray

Thanks for the kind words about my promotion here at WJFK. Honestly, my days at WJMA/WVJZ are really the only reason I am here now. It afforded me such a great experience and I knew from there on that radio was my career future. Special thanks to Ralph Graves, who was the first person ever to teach me anything at a radio station.

Anyone know where Dave Blount, former newsguy is now?

Thanks,

Cameron

--- In WJMA@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Gray <cameron_gray@y...> wrote:
Special thanks to Ralph Graves, who was the first person ever to
teach me anything at a radio station.
I read this and said "Whoa!" Well I didn't actually say "Whoa" but
anyway, I think I was Ralph's first teacher at WJMA. Does that make
me Cameron's Grandteacher?

Ralph Graves

I guess so. Mark Johnson was indeed my teacher (and a good one, too). And I
am very flattered that Cameron remembers me.

But let's not get too crazy here. Tracing the lineage from teacher to student
connects virtually everyone in the station - and who wants to claim credit
for teaching the teacher who taught the person who set the news copy on fire?

Ralph Graves
www.dcdrecords.com

Ross Hunter <xhunter@...>

--- In WJMA@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Gray <cameron_gray@y...> wrote:
Special thanks to Ralph Graves, who was the first person ever to
teach me anything at a radio station.
I read this and said "Whoa!" Well I didn't actually say "Whoa" but
anyway, I think I was Ralph's first teacher at WJMA. Does that make
me Cameron's Grandteacher?

Mark,

It's kind of like apostolic succession. Who was your teacher? Maybe we can trace this back a few generations.

--- In WJMA@yahoogroups.com, Ross Hunter <xhunter@n...> wrote:

Mark,

It's kind of like apostolic succession. Who was your teacher? Maybe
we can trace this back a few generations.

Jean Love was my first teacher in terms of actually sitting in for an
entire air shift. She taught me how to take the transmitter readings,
operate all the equipment, shut down etc. For some unfathomable
reason I remember that she endorsed Pepsi as a cure for frog-in-the-
throat.

The first time I was on the air it was to read a newscast at either
11:00am or 1:00pm. During the whole 5 minutes I was expecting Arch to
rush into Studio A and shut down the board. Dulin Furniture of Mine
Run was one of the sponsors.

R Roberts <russroberts@...>

For "Frog in the Throat" Dr. Pepper was my remedy. One winter, though,
a minor cold clogged the pipes to the point where the good Dr. from the
pop machine was impotent. I turned to over-the-counter sinus pills.
They worked so well I stayed on them for six months! My, how the cavity
resonated with a Sahara head!

When nosebleeds became a problem and on weekends, without the pills,
when my head closed up tighter than a bank vault, I decided my system
must have become dependant upon the little pink pills. With that power
of diagnosis I should have hung out my "Physician" shingle! Who needs
medical school?

Knowing the Drug Fair generic pills were doing me no long-term good and
fearing they might lead to "harder things" (dynamite?), I went cold
turkey.

I feel so much better now that I've confessed my former addiction to the
group here. My name is Russ and I am a reformed sinus pill user.

Ross, what was that throat stuff you always kept on your desk in our
little office? Do I recall you had it in a spray bottle, an "atomizer?"

Russ Roberts

It's kind of like apostolic succession. Who was your teacher? Maybe
we can trace this back a few generations.

Jean Love was my first teacher in terms of actually sitting in for an
entire air shift. She taught me how to take the transmitter readings,
operate all the equipment, shut down etc. For some unfathomable
reason I remember that she endorsed Pepsi as a cure for frog-in-the-
throat.

The first time I was on the air it was to read a newscast at either
11:00am or 1:00pm. During the whole 5 minutes I was expecting Arch to
rush into Studio A and shut down the board. Dulin Furniture of Mine
Run was one of the sponsors.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Dominion Market Research staff <xhunter@...>

Ross, what was that throat stuff you always kept on your desk in our
little office? Do I recall you had it in a spray bottle, an "atomizer?"

Russ Roberts
Russ,

I think it was Cloraseptic. Sounds like something to fix your drain field.

Cloraseptic was green and nasty, but it had a mild numbing effect that helped a sore throat.

It was a real chore to drag out of bed some winter mornings when I was not feeling well. I recall Mark's story about being sick as a dog while riding the board for an Orioles double header that had a rain delay _and_ extra innings.

Dominion Market Research
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
800-328-2588 540-672-2327 fax: 540-672-0296

Les <grandmananer@...>

And does this make Arch the Grand
Grand Grand Grand Grand Grand Grand Grand Grand Grand Grand Grand -to
-the -8th -power Teacher?