From: "Chet Burgess" <chetburgess@...>
To: <WJMA@...>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 8:35 PM
Subject: RE: [WJMA] Re: Arch, you win!!!

When I was growing up out in Colorado, the tracks of the Denver and Rio
Grande Western ran through my hometown of Rifle. The locals pronounced it
REYE-oh. It saved my father from a speeding ticket one day years later
when
he and my mother were driving from Virginia to visit her parents, one of
whom was ill. A Colorado trooper pulled them over and my father explained
they were former locals in a hurry to reach an ailing parent and perhaps
hadn't been paying close attention to the speedometer. The trooper said,
"if you're a former Rifle resident, tell me than name of that railroad" as
he pointed at the tracks. My father said, "That's the Denver and REYE-oh
Grande Western." The trooper said, "You're local, all right. Drive
safely," and sent them on their way. Proper pronunciation can save you
money!

chet