Re: Let's get started

Mark Johnson

Hello Ross and All,

Great idea Ross, I am glad you have put this together.

I would be interested in reading WJMA
mini-autobiograhies of everyone and learning the years
that everyone worked there and what their various jobs
were.

To get the idea off the ground:

I attended the Ace Broadcasting Academy in the late
Summer of 1981. There were four students and I figured
the odds were against me. But by about the third week
the other three had all dropped out. Weeee!

After "graduation" I started working on the weekends.
Mainly Saturday evening and some Sunday afternoons.

At that time there was a different announcer each
evening. I'll try to remember them on their correct
nights.

Debbie Carr Monday
Pete York Tuesday
Debbie Carr Wednesday
Nancy Howes Thursday
Youtha Whitten Friday

Very soon after I arrived, Debbie Carr left, and I
picked up her two nights. Then Pete York and Nancy
Howes also moved on, and I picked up their nights.

I believe Jean Love had been working Sunday afternoons
(and in fact one of my first On-Air training sessions
was with Jean) and she also decided to leave fairly
soon after I came on board.

So, from working one day a week I suddenly was working
every day except Friday (and I was delighted to fill
in for Youtha whenever she needed to take off too!).

What great fun those times were.

I have other memories and stories that I'll post when
I get the chance.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com