From: "Lax, Andrew" <ALax@...>
To: <WJMA@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 10:29 AM
Subject: RE: [WJMA] the wit that was

A couple of early 1970's WJMA memories.

Shortly after I started doing evening shifts, John Cregg laughingly
mentioned that, sooner or later, I might get a call from an anonymous woman
who liked to have a few drinks and call to flirt with the announcers. Sure
enough, several weeks later, she called. "You sound new," she slurred and
purred, "Want to come over and see me?" Despite having been warned, I was
flabbergasted and blurted out, "My parents would have to drive me, I'm only
fifteen!" Click. End of phone call.

Many of you will recall that, before leaving for the night, the announcer
recorded the weather forecast on a phone recorder near the front door, so
people could call the "weather" number in the phone book and get an
up-to-date forecast. In the summer of 1971, in addition to working at WJMA,
I worked on a local farm as a laborer. The "real" farm workers were not at
all impressed by me until, one morning, one of them suddenly heard me say
something and said,"You're the voice on the weather!" They all looked at me
with awe, like a true celebrity had dropped into their midst.

And my favorite Arch Harrison pronunciation moment came early, in my first
"reading". I thought I had no accent to correct, but I was reading a
sentence with the word "both" in it and Arch stopped me. "You've lived in
Baltimore, haven't you?" he asked. He was right and I was stunned. He had
known because of the way I pronounced that one word.

Enjoying the stories.
Andy Lax