From: Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA]
To: WJMA <WJMA@...>
Sent: Sun, Jun 3, 2018 3:19 pm
Subject: [WJMA] Phil Goodwin honor

Phil Goodwin is the 2018 recipient of the George A. Bowles Jr. Award for Distinguished Performance in Broadcast News, awarded annually by the Virginia Association of Broadcasters (VAB). The Bowles award is the state’s highest news industry award. It will be presented at the VAB meeting in Virginia Beach on the weekend of June 12-23 at Virginia Beach.

Phil joined WJMA in 1976 as evening announcer. Over the years he did just about everything at the station: announcing on all shifts, production, sports, sales, and assisting with engineering. In the mid 1980s, Phil left for jobs at other stations (WINA, WCVA/WCUL, and WTKR), but returned in the 1990s as News Director.

Over the years Phil has won awards from the Virginia Associated Press Broadcasters and the Virginia Association of Broadcasters. In 1994 he was honored by the Radio Television News Directors Association (RTNDA) with an Edward R. Murrow award for his feature news story “Water Discovered” about renovating a public water fountain on Main Street in Orange. Andy Rooney from CBS presented Phil the award. Phil says he was flattered when Rooney told him “I heard the story. The writing was good.”