Re: together, again

Clint Estes

I do remember the split game and the call ins from reporters and I think it was 1983?  I thought we did more than one Friday like that, but Tom is probably right.  We really had a great group of folks helping out.  Without them all of the ideas and things we tried would not have been possible.
Tom, who was the lady that helped with I think Woodberry reports?
                Clint

On Mar 29, 2016, at 6:17 PM, Ross Hunter rossgroups@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Tom Graves sent me the following message as he was boarding a flight to Boston.

Ross
===============

I'm thinking we did that split after we had a crew that was experienced after a few years. I believe I was paired with Tom Smith in Madison and Clint was with George Fletcher. It was really wet that night and the telephone technicians that lived in Madison were at the game and trouble shooted for us to get black on the air. This was a first, I was told by the guys at the Va news net. We had covered four games in one night with stringers, also a first. But I believe the only time we did it with full game broadcasts.

Tom Graves
My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

On Mar 28, 2016, at 2:30 PM, Ross Hunter ross@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

I’m a bit behind on news.

A month ago WJMA-FM and WVCV-AM (the old WJMA-AM) began simulcasting WJMA’s country music programming. At the same time, WOJL-FM (the old WLSA) in Louisa began simulcasting with WCVA-AM in Culpeper. WOJL is now a "classic hits" format.

When Arch Harrison put WJMA-FM on the air in November 1971, it simulcast WJMA-AM full time. If memory serves correctly, the almost 100% simulcast lasted until sometime after Arch sold the stations in April 1984. Digby Solomon changed the format of the FM to Adult Contemporary and changed the calls to WVJZ in December 1984. Here’s a link to some TV spots promoting WVJZ. They were an advertising trade with WVIR TV in Charlottesville.
1985 spots
1986 spots

I don’t recall all the flips and flops of formats and simulcasting over the years after that. Perhaps someone closer to actual events can fill in the story. WVJZ vanished after Digby sold the stations in 1988.

Prior to Digby buying the stations, there were occasions when the AM and FM would broadcast different programs. I recall conflicts between the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Redskins games when the stations would separate. I think Digby made “Monday At One” AM only.