Re: WJMA/WSVS connection

Chuck Brown

Hey Ross, it looks like I got the wrong person-----it looks like Don Greene is the one responsible for the moves between WSVS and WJMA, since he seems to be the first one of us to have worked in Orange.  I first met Don when I worked in Crewe.  I don't know where Don came from, but I think he lived in Chase City, when he worked in South Hill.  After 60 some years, my mind is a little foggy.

Chuck.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:46 AM
Subject: Re: [WJMA] WJMA/WSVS connection

Ross,
            I think you can thank Tubby Walthall for that.  I don't know how he got to WJMA from WSVS, but I had left WSVS and gone with WKLV in Blackstone as my first stint behind the mike as Engineer/DJ.  I left Blackstone and went back to Belle Glade, Florida where I started in November 1948.  I got word from yet another former WSVS employee, that Tubby was in Orange, Virginia as manager of WJMA and needed an announcer.  Things were not going my way at that time, so I called him and he hired me.  That is a very abreviated version  of the story.  Tubby, Don Greene, and I were all at WSVS at the same time, and we all ended up in South Hill.
Regards
Chuck
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 7:38 AM
Subject: Re: [WJMA] WJMA/WSVS connection

Chuck,

I’m sorry I missed that connection. I only have noted in my data where people went after WJMA, not before. Thanks for adding to the history and it looks like I need to update your “after WJMA” information. I should probably add a “prior to WJMA” column to the All-Time Staff List. http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA all-time staff list.htm

Can you shed any light on the connection between WSVS and WJMA.Why did people move back and forth between the stations?

Ross

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

On Feb 14, 2016, at 9:04 PM, 'Chuck Brown' chuck1927@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

I also worked at both stations through the years-------WSVS AM/FM, as engineer circa 1950 and WJMA parts of 1953------and 1954------and ended up at WJWS/WSHV from July 12, 1954 until September 1988 as Chief Engineer/DJ, when I finally retired from Broadcast Radio.  Chuck Brown, South Hill, Va.
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:03 PM
Subject: [WJMA] WJMA/WSVS connection

Greg Breeden (WJMA 1994-2001 ) has posed the following on his Facebook page:

………………………..

As most of you know, I have left Big Country 105.3 (WBNN Dillwyn, ed) where I have spent the last 15 years as an on-air personality, as well as program director, music director, production director and general manager among many other titles (or "hats") that I've held over the years. Tomorrow I start a new chapter in my professional life as I take on new challenges with radio station WSVS AM 800 and 97.1 FM in Crewe, VA. WSVS has been around for almost 70 years and stands as one of the most historic radio stations in the business where the likes of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs have played in the live music studio that still operates today. I hope I will be able to contribute to WSVS so it will live on as Virginia's Country Legend. There's a lot of work ahead and soon I will be on the air doing afternoon drive time. 

………………………...

There are two previous connections between WJMA and WSVS that come to mind. 

In July 1952, Donald Greene left the Assistant Manger position to WJMA to be a "sports editor”  at WSVS. http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA articles/1952-7-17 Greene leaves.jpg  And in May 1954 Alfred “Tubby” Walthall left the General Manager position at WJMA to be Assistant Manager at WJWS in South Hill. He said the job change would give him more time on the air. I recall Welford Sherman told me there were “creative differences”, but I don’t recall the specifics. I may have it on tape somewhere. “Tubby” is credited with beginning a 50 year run of broadcasting Orange High School Football. Walthall was originally from Crew, the location of WSVS where he had been Sports Director.

Ross
71-86

Join WJMA@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.