Re: WJMA/WSVS connection

Chuck Brown

I also worked at both stations through the years-------WSVS AM/FM, as engineer circa 1950 and WJMA parts of 1953------and 1954------and ended up at WJWS/WSHV from July 12, 1954 until September 1988 as Chief Engineer/DJ, when I finally retired from Broadcast Radio.  Chuck Brown, South Hill, Va.

Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2016 8:03 PM
Subject: [WJMA] WJMA/WSVS connection

Greg Breeden (WJMA 1994-2001 ) has posed the following on his Facebook page:

As most of you know, I have left Big Country 105.3 (WBNN Dillwyn, ed) where I have spent the last 15 years as an on-air personality, as well as program director, music director, production director and general manager among many other titles (or "hats") that I've held over the years. Tomorrow I start a new chapter in my professional life as I take on new challenges with radio station WSVS AM 800 and 97.1 FM in Crewe, VA. WSVS has been around for almost 70 years and stands as one of the most historic radio stations in the business where the likes of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs have played in the live music studio that still operates today. I hope I will be able to contribute to WSVS so it will live on as Virginia's Country Legend. There's a lot of work ahead and soon I will be on the air doing afternoon drive time.

There are two previous connections between WJMA and WSVS that come to mind.

In July 1952, Donald Greene left the Assistant Manger position to WJMA to be a "sports editor”  at WSVS. http://www.wjma.radiohistory.net/WJMA articles/1952-7-17 Greene leaves.jpg  And in May 1954 Alfred “Tubby” Walthall left the General Manager position at WJMA to be Assistant Manager at WJWS in South Hill. He said the job change would give him more time on the air. I recall Welford Sherman told me there were “creative differences”, but I don’t recall the specifics. I may have it on tape somewhere. “Tubby” is credited with beginning a 50 year run of broadcasting Orange High School Football. Walthall was originally from Crew, the location of WSVS where he had been Sports Director.