Re: Chet Burgess & CNN's beginning

Barbara Potter-Drinkwater

These are the angels in life who know something can be done about it! Great remembrance of you, Chet.

On Jun 2, 2015, at 10:32 AM, 'Chet Burgess' chet@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Wow!  I do not remember that bit of mentoring, but am glad it apparently was effective J

chetburgess PHOTOGRAPHY

4 Montclair Dr., NE

Atlanta, GA 30309-1527

chetburgessphotography.com

404-892-1449

From: WJMA@... [mailto:WJMA@...]
Sent: 06/02/2015 7:03 AM
To: WJMA@...
Subject: Re: [WJMA] Chet Burgess & CNN's beginning

Chet,

It’s worth remembering.

I don’t know if you are on Facebook. In case not here’s a comment posted by Bill Oglesby on the Virginia AM/FMTV page.

…………………………………...

In the fall of 1973, Chet was a senior at Washington and Lee, older than most after a stint in Vietnam. I remember how he already had a shock of grey hair. I was a freshman broadcast wanna-be who was alone in the campus radio newsroom the afternoon of October 10.

Suddenly, the large teletype machines came alive with bells ringing like I had heard they did for important bulletins. I ran to see the single alert that Vice President Spiro Agnew had resigned as part of a plea agreement with criminal prosecutors.

I was almost frozen with fear. What do I do? Almost before I could act, Chet Burgess appeared. He ran in knowing what had happened and firmly but calmly directed me.

Even then I was aware he could have pushed this 18-year-old freshman aside and done it himself, but he kept me in the middle. We prepared our story, and he directed me to the anchor chair while he ran the board. I announced the VP's resignation in what even today I remember as a shaky monotone voice.

When I was done, he simply said, "Good job." and then handed me a small box containing a reel- to-reel audio tape. Chet had somehow had the foresight to realize he should roll a tape on a historically significant announcement and give it to me as a memento of my first "big one." I still have that audio tape in its box almost 42 years later.

My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09

AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

Old School Radio Show Summer Songs: http://bit.ly/1KieoJo

On Jun 1, 2015, at 11:53 AM, 'Chet Burgess' chet@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

Ross,

Many thanks for remembering the CNN anniversary!  Many in the news business thought of it as “Ted’s Folly.”  It sure worked out!

Too bad the network has rather lost its way the past 15 years…

chet