…………………………………………………………………...
My YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1CiSk09
AHHA Productions YouTube channel: http://bit.ly/1GSqtXm

On Mar 26, 2015, at 8:58 AM, Les Myers baroque@... [WJMA] <WJMA@...> wrote:

I discovered this story on the computer the other day. Arch sent it to me in 2005. I apologize if I have shared this with any or all of you already. It's worth retelling, in any event:

A truck driver is heading west across the Arizona desert. He's been
 driving all night and as the sun starts to rise, he feels the need to
 stop and commune with nature. He pulls to the side of the road,
 parks, and walks out into the sage brush.

 As he is standing there looking around at the beauty of the early
 morn, he notices a lever sticking out of the ground. After a few
 moments he walks over, walks all the way around, and then reaches out
 to grasp the lever. As he does he hears a voice say, "Don't touch
 that lever!"

 The driver jumps about two feet off the ground and as he comes down,
 he looks around. No one is to be seen. Thinking it was just his
 imagination he again reaches for the lever. Again the voice yells, "I
 said don't touch that lever!"

 Being more prepared, the driver senses the location of the voice and
 looks down under a sage brush.  There he sees a small snake.

 The driver, in much astonishment, said, "Was that you that spoke?"

 The snake said, "Yes. I have to keep people from touching that lever.
 If the lever is moved it will be the end of the world."

 The driver, still rather astonished, said, "What is your name? And
 will you talk on TV?" The snake said his name was Nathan, his friends
 called him Nate, and that he wasn't interested in going on TV. Anyway
 he had to stay and watch the lever to see that it wasn't moved.

 The driver said, "Look, I will get the networks to send out camera
 crews.  That way you can inform the entire world about the danger of
 the lever."

 Nate thought that over and allowed as how there was a great deal of
 sense in that idea. The driver, true to his word, got the
 network camera crews out. They put on broadcasts in which Nate warned
 the entire world of the dangers of moving the lever.

 A few weeks later another truck driver was passing through the area.
 He was following an oil tanker and the tanker sprang a
 leak.  When the truck behind hit the oil slick it went out of
 control, and the driver found himself headed straight for the lever.

 He remembered seeing Nate on TV warning about the lever. He knew that
 if he hit it he would cause the world to end. He
 strove with all his might to maneuver the truck.  Finally, at the
 last possible moment, he was able to swerve away from the lever but
 he ran over Nate and killed him.

 The truck driver was elated at missing the lever but sad that he
 killed Nate. He dug a grave for the dead snake and performed a solemn
 burial. Then he erected a wooden tomb stone and pondered what epitaph
 to write. Then it came to him: "Better Nate than lever."

ah-9/29/05

3D Earth Screensaver Preview
Free 3D Earth Screensaver
Watch the Earth right on your desktop! Check it out at www.inbox.com/earth