From: Ross Hunter <rossgroups@...>
To: WJMA <WJMA@...>
Sent: Mon, Sep 3, 2012 8:44 am
Subject: Re: [WJMA] Ode to WMAL

Clint,

I've wondered the same thing many times. Toward the end of the
documentary Chris Core says he often gets the question and his answer
is "no" and he gives his reasons. I think he's right if you are
talking about reviving WMAL as it existed in, say, 1979. Times have
changed. The old audience has gone elsewhere. There are many, many
more choices for information and entertainment today. The market is
far more fragmented.

But, having said that, what if you built a contemporary version of
WMAL? WTOP does just fine in the market. They don't have the music
programs, but they sure do cover news, weather and sports. It's one
of the highest billing stations in the country because it offers
programming the people want to hear.

Ross

What a wonderful documentary! I know things change, but at it's core
people are still the same. I wonder if it could succeed?????

Clint