From: Dominion Market Research <ross@...>
To: WJMA@...
Sent: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 3:05 pm
Subject: [WJMA] a treasure trove

I received two envelopes from Jack Du Long today. Inside were many,
many treasures from WJMA in 1959. It will take me a while to get them
scanned and posted on the web site, but here's a sampling of what he
sent.

--A slide of himself standing in the parking lot of DeVivi's. The
DeVivi's "Chicken in the Rough" sign is in the background
--A business card from John LeGarde's band " The Beatniks" "Call
7785" "Seven Piece Orchestra"
--dozens of letters requesting songs. They're addressed to "Orange &
Blue Review", "Teen Time", "Request Show". Interestingly, although
WJMA was only a 250 watt station at the time, the letters are post
marked: Orange, Rapidan, Culpeper, Rochelle, Louisa, Gordonsville,
Barboursville, Somerset, Unionville, Etlan, Madison, and Earlysville.
One writer included her picture and said "Some spins would be
appreciated."
--picture post cards of Orange and a couple of local sites
--Weekly music lists from January to April of 1959. The number one
song for the week of January 10, 1959 was Billy Grammer's "Gotta
Travel On". Also on that week's list: "To Know Him is to Love Him" by
the Teddy Bears, "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" by the Platters, "Stagger
Lee" by Lloyd Price, "Donna" by Richie Valens, "The Little Drummer
Boy" by the Harry Simeone Chorale, "16 Candles" by the Crests, and
"Whole Lotta Lovin'" by Fats Domino. At the bottom it says "Tabulated
from record sales at Sparks Grocery and The Eagle Store, both on Main
Street in Orange, VA. We believe this is the only popular record
survey conducted for the Orange area. We hope it will aid you in
selecting records for your collection. This was WJMA chart #1
--Disc Data "The Authorative Record Survey" which listed WJMA as a
Regional Reporter. The Disc Data sheet for Feb 22, 1959 shows "Story
of My Love" by Conway Twitty, "Little Things You Do" by Sam Cooke and
"Venus" by Frankie Avalon as the WJMA "hot" songs.

He also included some pictures and names of people he remembered and
asked if I could help to reach any of them:
Strother Winslow
G L Haney
John LeGarde
Beverly Dulaney
William Long
Frances Brooks
Joyce Didson
Rita Kyle

Other than John LeGarde, if you have information on any of the above,
please let me know and I'll pass it along.

Dominion Market Research-mailing services for Central Virginia
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
USA
1-540-672-2327 1-800-328-2588 fax: 1-540-672-0296
http://www.dmrmail.com

Go Green ! Print only as needed.