Re: old wjma phone number

Ross Hunter <xhunter@...>

Sometime in the mid 70's I received a letter from a listener addressed
to:

"Russ
Orange, VA"

Sonny Dodson and the staff at the Orange Post Office knew where it was
supposed to go; they delivered it to the station.

Russ Roberts
Russ,

You are pretty sure that was a "u" and not an "o"? :-)

I recall dozens of times you couldn't tell whether the phone caller said Russ or Ross; or whether Watson yelling "Russ" or "Ross"; or whether the person just got confused and called the first name that came to mind. It was easier to just answer and sort it out later. When Watson called you be last name there was no doubt who she was looking for or that you had crossed some line.

I also recall lots of phone calls for "Phil" and having to determine if the person was looking or Goodwin or Audibert. Then there were the news calls for Phil where the person clearly had no idea how to pronounce Aubibert. Phil solved that problem to some degree with his license plate "O D Bear".

Then there was Big Bob (Bob Wade aka J.D. Slade) and Mad Bob (Bab Barnett). By the way Bod Wade's email has been bouncing for at least 6 months. Does anyone on the list have contact with him?

Ross (not Russ)