Re: Digest Number 348

Janet Hague McKay

When I was in high school, I lived in St. John's Newfoundland. The phone
numbers there were very strange. We had numbers that were four, five and six
digits and letters. My number was 7878A. One of my friend's was 90965A. The
number to call the base was 4113!
When I first moved to Gordonsville, you could still call Gordonsville
numbers by dialing 2 and the last four digits. My number was 832-2788. Orange
Tire and Recap was 672-2788. Every Saturday morning I would be awakened by the
phone and when I answered it would be some man in Gordonsville who out of habit
dialed 2-2788 and wanted tires! Of course it was always very early Saturday
morning when they called.

Janet McKay (Hague)
86-87

In a message dated 8/14/2004 10:09:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Phlodbear@... writes:
In a message dated 8/14/2004 9:36:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
WJMA@... writes:

The Dark Ages of telephone service

I still remember the phone number when I was a small child living in rural
New England...HEmlock 5-9292.

We moved to Gordonsville when I was eight, and I remember vividly being able
to call anyone within the Gordonsville exchange (832) by dialing the last
four digits. In fact, you could dial three because back then everyone's four
digit number started with a "2." Ours was 2225 and it remained that way
until
we sold Tivoli in 1999. Look up any long standing resident's phone number in
Gordonsville and I'll bet you their four digit number starts with a "2."

And yes, a call to Orange was indeed a long distance affair requiring the
services of the operator. I also remember doing an interview with some phone
company people, and they told me that whenever WJMA had a call in contest,
the
mechanical switching in the building on Bellview would go crazy, effectively
rendering the town of Orange incommunicado for a brief moment.

Phil Audibert
'76-'86