From: Phlodbear@... Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2004 10:11 AM
To: WJMA@...; WJMA@...
Subject: Re: [WJMA] Digest Number 348

In a message dated 8/14/2004 9:36:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, WJMA@... writes:

The Dark Ages of telephone service

I still remember the phone number when I was a small child living in rural New England...HEmlock 5-9292.

We moved to Gordonsville when I was eight, and I remember vividly being able to call anyone within the Gordonsville exchange (832) by dialing the last four digits. In fact, you could dial three because back then everyone's four digit number started with a "2." Ours was 2225 and it remained that way until we sold Tivoli in 1999. Look up any long standing resident's phone number in Gordonsville and I'll bet you their four digit number starts with a "2." And yes, a call to Orange was indeed a long distance affair requiring the services of the operator. I also remember doing an interview with some phone company people, and they told me that whenever WJMA had a call in contest, the mechanical switching in the building on Bellview would go crazy, effectively rendering the town of Orange incommunicado for a brief moment.

Phil Audibert
'76-'86

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Listen to Internet Radio! Access to your favorite Artists!
Click to listen to LAUNCHcast now!