Re: Digest Number 348

Phil Audibert

In a message dated 8/14/2004 9:36:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
WJMA@... writes:

The Dark Ages of telephone service

I still remember the phone number when I was a small child living in rural
New England...HEmlock 5-9292.

We moved to Gordonsville when I was eight, and I remember vividly being able
to call anyone within the Gordonsville exchange (832) by dialing the last
four digits. In fact, you could dial three because back then everyone's four
digit number started with a "2." Ours was 2225 and it remained that way until
we sold Tivoli in 1999. Look up any long standing resident's phone number in
Gordonsville and I'll bet you their four digit number starts with a "2."

And yes, a call to Orange was indeed a long distance affair requiring the
services of the operator. I also remember doing an interview with some phone
company people, and they told me that whenever WJMA had a call in contest, the
mechanical switching in the building on Bellview would go crazy, effectively
rendering the town of Orange incommunicado for a brief moment.

Phil Audibert
'76-'86