stomach movement while swallowing

neager_4@...

Hi everybody,
I was doing a VM session with a patient the other day and noticed she has extremely large movements of the stomach while swallowing. It is almost as if you feel a blob of lead drop into her gut when she swallows her saliva every time. She has a complicated medical hx, most pertinent is a fusion from T7-12 with corresponding numbness surrounding the mid-lower thoracic dermatomes and semi-recent concussion.
I have never seen this atypical stomach response to swallowing before. Any suggestions from a VM perspective; causes or treatment approaches? I am following GL and LL (will continue to do this) and the 1st session went very well.
Thanks in advance,
Nicole Stevens (VM1-6, NM1, VVML, VVMU, LT1, CST1)

Dagmar

After treating treating the GL/LL I would do a GL/LL while she swallows very slowly and see what comes up.

Dagmar Growe, LMT

VM1-6, LT, NM1-4, ACA1 VVMU, VVML

--
Dagmar Growe
Kinesthetic Restoration & Massage

Thomas Takeuchi

Nicole
Based on your classes taken I would assess with VM5, manual thermal. Is the listening taking you to a functional, mechanical, or emotional cause?  Functional or mechanical are totally different aspects and require different approaches.

Where, what specifically is the Listening. With LT1 you have the experience to be Specific. Following the Listening. Differentiate. Use Layered palpation and Qualities of perception from LT.   are there associated factors?  Use extended Listening from the same class….  Is there a system Listening?…  Is there a neural or vascular component?  And if so, assess with NM1 for a CNS, spinal cord or peripheral nerve component.   Especially with a fusion of T7-12. Opsee. I am influenced by her history. Anyway after recognizing the elephant in the room, remember your thoracic work, especially the diaphragm, vagus and phrenic nerves, and crura of the diaphragm to pelvis-sacrum.

Always follow the Listening. GL, MT, or LL

What a great reminder. Gail Wetzler suggested doing functional listening. Listening when the person is having their symptoms. The activity or position. In this case, swallowing.

As for making comment on cause or treatment, I would show my bias and prejudices which Dr Barral would refrain from. Plus I am usually incorrect

Tom Takeuchi (VM1-6, NM1-5, VVML, VVMU, LT1-2, MALE, MAUE, MASP, VNAMS, CI-CRBMT, NVMTA)

On Feb 24, 2022, at 10:55 PM, neager_4@... wrote:

Hi everybody,
I was doing a VM session with a patient the other day and noticed she has extremely large movements of the stomach while swallowing. It is almost as if you feel a blob of lead drop into her gut when she swallows her saliva every time. She has a complicated medical hx, most pertinent is a fusion from T7-12 with corresponding numbness surrounding the mid-lower thoracic dermatomes and semi-recent concussion.
I have never seen this atypical stomach response to swallowing before. Any suggestions from a VM perspective; causes or treatment approaches? I am following GL and LL (will continue to do this) and the 1st session went very well.
Thanks in advance,
Nicole Stevens (VM1-6, NM1, VVML, VVMU, LT1, CST1)

neager_4@...

Hi Tom,
Thank you! You caught me, I try not to be biased, but I definitely am with her hx; however, I was able to stay true to the listening for her treatment. Her listening on our 1st session did go into an emotional cause related to the internal thoracic artery. We did some VM5-6 work on that, general fascial release in the area, balancing of the CST rhythm throughout the body, and a little NM work at the T-spine to clean up what was found and Rx'd with the VM work. She noted some emotional solace afterward, fingers crossed for some physical relief.
:-) Nicole