Diastasis Recti

gretch.liska@...

Hi all, I am a pelvic floor therapist and a visceral newbie! I see a lot of clients with severe diastasis recti (DRA). I have only taken VM1 so far and continue to practice the listening and the skills I learned in class! (can't wait to take the next course).  I was wondering though if there are any specific techniques that would be important to focus on with clients that have a severe DRA??

Kelly Handyside

Hi Gretchen,

Welcome to the VM world! And I am so glad you are inspired and have curiosities about how this work can help. For DRA’s check out one of our Barral Instructors, Brandi Kirk’s research on DRA’s (see link below) using all the VM1 Small Intestine techniques.
I always use my General and Local Listening, so if the Small Intestine comes up in evaluation, do some finger width measurements down line alba as Brandi suggests in her research while the patient contracts their abs. Do the techniques, and then
re-measure. Remember, even if there is little change after you mobilize, it will take days to process/ play out. Usually in 3-4 treatments the DRA may self correct. I instruct patients not to do core/ abdominal workouts while we treat the DRA, to give the
body time to do it’s work. When you take VM2 you will learn another important piece of treating DRA's which will be treating the Parietal Peritoneum.

On Jun 22, 2022, at 1:01 PM, gretch.liska@... wrote:

Hi all, I am a pelvic floor therapist and a visceral newbie! I see a lot of clients with severe diastasis recti (DRA). I have only taken VM1 so far and continue to practice the listening and the skills I learned in class! (can't wait to take the next course).  I was wondering though if there are any specific techniques that would be important to focus on with clients that have a severe DRA??

gretch.liska@...

Thank you so much! This is so helpful, and I will be sure to check out Brandi's research. I appreciate all the info!

Justin McKinney

Great information, thank you!