Chronic Kidney Disease

moon@...

Hi All!

I'm asking this question with some urgency.  My father who is 79 years old has had CKD for about 25 years now.  The story is it was caused by a medication he was given to treat gout.  We have not history of CKD in our family.  He's been managing the situation well for all these years with diet and exercise.  He remained at stage 3 until a back surgery in January 2019 to clean up a herniated lumbar disc and some stenosis.  He came out of surgery not able to urinate and they kept him overnight with a catheter.  24 hours later he was discharged with a catheter which he had to use for 7-10 days.

I'm on the west coast and my father is on the east coast so these next details and timing of things is a little muddy.  He was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate and due to his kidney disease the urologist was keen to treat this situation and put him on Proscar, generic for finasteride.  He's been on it since sometime in 2019 and reports the drug has done it's job and shrunk his prostate and urination is "normal".  All the while his blood work has been coming back kidney numbers that continue to get worse.  Specifically eGFR is plumiting.  He gets blood work every 3 months.  2.5 months ago his eGFR was 21 and now it's 19.  This summer it was better than 21 and in 18 days he's going to have blood work again and we are expecting it to not look good.  This friday he has an appt to talk dialysis or transplant.

My Father asked me this weekend if the drug they put him on - Proscar could be affecting his kidneys.  As he thought back his condition was stable until his back surgery and was then put on this drug.  I did some digging and there is indeed some recent findings that this drug can be harmful for many things but also CKD.  He's in the process now of talking to relevant docs to get off the drug.  And the interesting thing about his condition is he reports feel good.  He doesn't have any of the symptoms one would expect someone to have in this last stage disease.  Even his doctors are surprised at how well he feels.

So my question...is manual therapy contraindicated for someone in stage 4 almost stage 5 CKD.  There's so much in my father's history that speaks to a snowball effect of things.
Has anyone had experience working with someone who has CKD and this late stage?

Thanks so much.
Moon
VM 1-5  NM 1-4  LT 1

Linda Fisher

Hi Moon,

Yes i have worked on a couple of clients in Kidney failure. One client, a now 78 year old women, was in the hospital 3 years ago, in severe failure  - GFR 2! it went up to 7 then 9 and they released her, having decided not to do dialysis. She has been having visceral manipulation from me, and has been seeing an acupuncturist, and improved her diet. A few weeks ago her GFR was 39 and the nephrologist has released her from her care to be followed by her GP. Another women age 68 was in kidney failure last March, she also has been having visceral manipulation from me, and is under the care of a naturopath and changed her diet. A few weeks ago her GFR was 40 and the nephrologist released her from his care, to be followed by her GP. The nephrologist said this was very rare! (It could have been the same one, this is a small city.)

I think the most significant techniques, after the basic kidney techniques, were the “Kidney treatment to “elongate” renal artery and vein, taught in Advance Visceral Manipulation: Physiological and Neuroendocrine effects of Soft Tissue Treatment and clinical Applications, and also taught  in Ron’s Advanced clinical Applications class, also from Ron's class, the Kidney Viscoelasticity technique.

I hope you can find someone in his area who has this training.Warm regards,

Linda S. Fisher RMT, CVTP

VM1-6, NM 1-5, ACA-VM-1-5, Strategic crossroads, AVM-PNE. Manual Articular 1-3
http://www.iahp.com/Linda-Fisher

On Nov 2, 2021, at 8:43 AM, moon@... wrote:

[...]

Warm regards,

Linda S. Fisher RMT
http://www.iahp.com/Linda-Fisher

moon@...

Hi Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your experience to me, I really appreciate it!!  I have passed this info on to my father and did find someone near him who could help.  Not sure he'll go for it but he has the info.

All my best,
Moon