Client with heart palpitations/A-Fib episodes, distention/bloating/heartburn

bcraven82@...

Hi everyone,

I have been working on this client even before I took VM1 8 months ago. She gets some improvement but within 2 weeks the bloating/distention gets bad again and the palpitations and A-fib episodes keep happening sporadically. She tends to get the A-fib when relaxed and starting to fall asleep- and is then woken up, sometimes lasting more than 40 minutes as she tries to massage the stomach to get it to settle. She is on a beta blocker since these attacks first started.

She had her gallbladder removed - which did not help her symptoms. About 30 years ago she had Thyroid removed and after that had a hysterectomy. Thyroid removal caused a lot of depression and brain fog but she has been off anti-depressants and her thyroid levels are stable. She recently started taking anti-acids again since her heartburn felt like it was causing palpitations. She is constipated when not taking magnesium.

GL often brings me to sacrum or to liver. LL often to gallbladder or heart and sometimes lungs.

She is so distended it can be difficult for me to get into gallbladder and stretch the common bile duct. I stretch the stomach since it is definitely sucking midline and up toward heart with heavy connective tissue tension around R and L ribs that makes her L T6-T8 region cramp. Sphincter work usually gets good responses and settles things down but I'd like to get her longer lasting relief.

Does anyone have ideas or experience/success treating someone with palpitations/A-fib? I can't seem to get her stomach to fully settle out from under the ribs to stop putting pressure on the heart.

Thank you,
Brittany Craven, LMT
VM1

Kathryn Hightower

Hi there,

I recommend she see a naturopathic doctor (okay, I’m a little biased!) for comprehensive health plan. If she’s only having these at night, it’s probably not a-fib but GERD. Acid blockers will only make GERD worse over time but are REALLY hard to wean off of. If your listening is taking you upwards, she may also have a hiatal hernia which is a great candidate for visceral manip, but if there’s a hernia she needs to do daily treatment to bring it down, so she can avoid surgery. Also sounds like she may have SIBO. Visceral manipulation is really great for treating this, but only as phase three of treatment, after antibiotics/antimicrobials and diet changes. She needs to be worked up for these problems, because I don’t think you’ll get traction with VM without the other pieces in place.

Kathryn Hightower, N.D.

(she/her)

Emerald City Clinic, Inc., P.S.

1409 NW 85th St, Seattle, WA 98117

Phone: (206) 781-2206

Fax: (206) 783-3949

drkathryn@...

www.emeraldcityclinic.com

emeraldcityclinic.blogspot.com

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you.

[...]

drmariotti@...

If you're curious on how to treat SIBO with VM I created a special clinical rounds on the VMstudygroup.com website addressing this topic. If you're not already registered on the VMstudygroup.com website as a curious subscriber then you will need to do so in order to view the page. Here's the link to the page. https://vmstudygroup.com/covid-viscera-miniseries/small-intestine-bacterial-overgrowth-sibo-neuroplasticity-of-the-gut-and-the-role-of-visceral-manipulation/

Also, if you'd like to see a discussion I gave to the Australian osteopathic Association's annual convention in 2013 on the neuroplasticity of the gut, where I also discuss some applications of visceral manipulation for atrial fibrillation check out the following link. https://visceralsynergy.com/dr.-mariotti-s-videos.shtml

Ron Mariotti, ND BI-D

saltzman25

Hi Brittany,

Hopefully someone who has taken VM 4 and has worked with the heart/pericardium will chime in here.
But as soon as you mentioned the ribs, this makes me think diaphragm. We learned a technique in VM for releasing the right triangular ligament of the liver. This has been a successful addition for me in practice since it releases their diaphragm and patients can usually feel the release instantly— saying they can get a deeper breath.

The lower esophageal mobilization in sitting, for treating hiatal hernia will provide results if this is related to hernia. I have found this one to provide longer lasting results for my patients with suspected hiatal hernia.

Helpful to know whether these symptoms are worse when lying on her back vs her side, but perhaps out of the scope of this forum.

Hope this helps!

Sheila Saltzman DPT, IFMCP
VM1, VM2