Client with excessive belching

karin@...

Lynnea,
The case you described sounds just like a patient that started with me recently. He developed severe belching especially at night after a bout with COVID. I am a nutritionist and physical therapist so he came to me for help with the belching. I had a hunch that he may have a microbiome dysbiosis situation, specifically SIBO. COVID may have damaged his enteric nervous system contributing to a dysfunctional migrating motor complex in which the small intestine wasn't able to produce its normal sweeping peristaltic wave. I did a VM assessment and there are things to work on which is no surprise. I sent him home to implement a low FODMAP which I use diagnostically and for symptom relief. Sure enough his belching had resolved. He also had to go on a course of antibiotics for a tooth procedure which made him feel even better. Next steps he will complete a SIBO breath test to identify what gas is produced and I will have him start an herbal antimicrobial protocol and then we'll work on expanding his diet. I'll be working with VM techniques along the way to help with mobility. I hope this helps!
Karin Michalk, MS PT CN CNS
VM1-2

Winnie Tsu

Hi Lynnea,

Of course do your listening....in addition to what your listening finds....I find.

The phrenic nerve is great to work on.  Lately I have been adding phrenic nerve induction along with the pleura, mediastinum, capsule of liver, abdominal peritoneum.  (as the phrenic nerve gives branches to these areas)
When the phrenic nerve irritates the diaphragm, the diaphragm can then irritate lumbar nerve L2-4.....contributing to the leg symptoms.  So with your skills you could work on the pleura, mediastinum and abdominal peritoneum
-don't forget the musculoskeletal system - make sure oa jt, aa jt have mobility so then c3-C5 don't get aggravated

Vagus nerve is also very helpful as well I find.  If you aren't trained in this, you could release suboccipitals, scm and traps(accessory nerve exits through jugular foramen where vagus nerve exits),esophagus - vagus nerve travels along this, diaphragm, greater omentum and stomach together(this gets pulled up with the vagus nerve)  and the emotional field.

Winnie

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 4:11 PM Lynnea Aponte <thrivefamilymassage@...> wrote:
Hello all, I have been working with a client who was referred to me by a GI doc for an undiagnosed condition where she experiences daily bouts of uncontrollable belching. It began in 1/21, incidentally two days after her second COVID vaccination. She does have history of IBS and hiatal hernia (which was treated and is no longer acute). She states it started simultaneously with unprovoked muscular pain centered on the right side of pubic bone and extending up towards ribs and down towards medial knee; this pain has subsided but belching has worsened.She has seen and is seeing every imaginable provider for this condition over the past year to no avail.

In our first session, the slightest pressure over left ribs 6-8 by the sternal joints triggered the belching event. Belching generally occurs during the night if she needs to get up, right before waking, and sometimes after meals, regardless of type of food. She is very sensitive to food and eats very clean and carefully. Can last up to a couple of hours.

Since then, the belching continues, but is less forceful. Pressure on the left lower ribs is no longer an issue. In our last session, listening was focused around the right side of the manubrium and hyoid. Was working here and around right SCM and triggered a less intense belching event.

I'm feeling drawn to the idea that this could be neural dysfunction, and some providers have hinted at this without solution. I am not sure or experienced enough to know if it has a vagus or perhaps phrenic origin.

Does anyone have experience with a similar condition to give insight on where to go from here?

Lynnea Aponte LMT
VM1-4 NM1 VMD

Lynnea Aponte