Topics

WTB: 98547A frame buffer

Chris Hanson

I’d like to add a 98574A to my HP 9000-332 system, replacing the 98543A I’ve been using since the latter is hard to make work nicely with a multi-sync LCD. Is anyone interested in parting with one?

— Chris

Bruce

Chris -
I'd be interested to know which LCDs you have fiund that work with the
98543A or any other 24KHz cards

On May 3, 2020, at 1:42 PM, Bruce <bruce@...> wrote:

I'd be interested to know which LCDs you have fiund that work with the
98543A or any other 24KHz cards
I’ve used both the NEC MultiSync 1990SX and 1990FXp with acceptable results. Neither is pixel-perfect. The SX lets you at least use a non-full-screen aspect ratio, whereas the FXp always tries to fit an image to the screen.

I don’t think I’ve paid more than US$30 (plus shipping) for any of my 1990SX or 1990FXp displays, and have several. You’ll often find them cheaper without the stand (typically coming from medical equipment) but they take standard VESA mounting and also have two analog inputs, which can be good for having a few displays attached to your bench.

-- Chris

Bruce

Chris - THANKS. Which HP video cards are you using them with. I'm
interested in using an LCD with the HP98549 and 98543 video cards. I
know both have a HZ rate of 24KHz and am not sure of the Vertical rate.

Any idea what the vertical rate is for the cards you are using.

Cheers!

Brucew

Quoting Chris Hanson <@eschaton>:

On May 3, 2020, at 1:42 PM, Bruce <bruce@...> wrote:

I'd be interested to know which LCDs you have fiund that work with the
98543A or any other 24KHz cards
I’ve used both the NEC MultiSync 1990SX and 1990FXp with acceptable
results. Neither is pixel-perfect. The SX lets you at least use a
non-full-screen aspect ratio, whereas the FXp always tries to fit an
image to the screen.

I don’t think I’ve paid more than US$30 (plus shipping) for any of
my 1990SX or 1990FXp displays, and have several. You’ll often find
them cheaper without the stand (typically coming from medical
equipment) but they take standard VESA mounting and also have two
analog inputs, which can be good for having a few displays attached
to your bench.

-- Chris

Chris Hanson

I’ve used a 1990SX with internal video from a 9000/332, with a 98543A, with a 98550A, and with an A1659 (SGC for HP-Apollo 9000/425s). I’ve also used a 1990SX with an HP 2393A mono graphics terminal.

For all of these, I used the HP VGA-to-3BNC adapter in reverse; it has 6 pins on the VGA port that directly correspond to signal and ground on the BNC connectors, and that’s all that’s needed because the NEC MultiSync 1990SX/FXp support sync-on-green.

Like I said, the 512x400 video isn’t pixel-perfect; the display thinks the signal is 720x400 and it can be adjusted to look OK but never great. But it works and it means I can use one kind of display for virtually all of my retro hardware.

-- Chris

On May 4, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Bruce <bruce@...> wrote:

[...]

Haveyou tried anything with the Hi Rez cards (1024x768) ??

On May 4, 2020, at 3:45 PM, Bruce <bruce@...> wrote:

Haveyou tried anything with the Hi Rez cards (1024x768) ??
No, unfortunately I don't have any of those. Yet...

-- Chris