Topics

Wanted: Schematics/firmware of 9111A tablet

fulivi@...

Hi,

does anyone know where I can find the schematics (and maybe even the firmware dump) of the HP 9111 tablet, please? I was thinking about studying this interesting piece of hardware in deep.
I looked around in the official documentation and found very little (just the PCB picture & layout in the service handbook). I also couldn't find any of the excellent reverse-engineered schematics by Tony Duell of this digitizer. Does anyone of you know if he ever authored such a thing?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
--F.Ulivi

Did you ask Tony himself or did you look on the site of the HPCC ?

-Rik

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:31 PM +0200, <fulivi@...> wrote:

Hi,

does anyone know where I can find the schematics (and maybe even the firmware dump) of the HP 9111 tablet, please? I was thinking about studying this interesting piece of hardware in deep.
I looked around in the official documentation and found very little (just the PCB picture & layout in the service handbook). I also couldn't find any of the excellent reverse-engineered schematics by Tony Duell of this digitizer. Does anyone of you know if he ever authored such a thing?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
--F.Ulivi

fulivi@...

If you mean this page, I did look there and found nothing, unfortunately. I'll try to ask Tony directly as you suggested...
Thanks.
--F.Ulivi

Steve Leibson

I just read up on the 9111A in the HP Journal article, available on the HP Computer Museum site. I was not involved in the 9111A, it was developed after I left HP, but I was involved in its predecessor, the 9874A. They both use the same basic capacitive technology, but use completely different hardware. The HP Journal article says that Dave Kinsell wrote the firmware for the 9111A. I'd start with him. He worked on both the 9874A and the 9111A. You'll find him on LinkedIn. He's still in the Fort Collins area. See if he'd like to help.

--Steve

--
Steve Leibson

Phone (Cell): 408-910-5992
Phone (Home): 408-292-4930

Please feel free to link to me on LinkedIn

History site: www.hp9825.com

#Iwork4Intel

fulivi@...

Thanks for suggesting to talk to David Kinsell.
Unfortunately neither he nor T.Duell had any of the detailed doc I'm looking for on 9111 tablet.
But I noticed in the service handbook that a "full service manual" is mentioned with 09111-90030 part number. Has anyone ever heard of it? Needless to say Google couldn't find anything.
Thanks.
--F.Ulivi

Vassilis PREVELAKIS (series80.org)

Hi,

If you are having problems with your 9111A it may be the ink refill.

The replacement needs to be a metal (not plastic) part as it serves both as a pen and as a signal path.

More details (and documentation, though not the service manual) at:

https://www.series80.org//hp9111a.html

**vp

Ansgar

Hi Federico,

just another emulator project, right?

I *think* I have a manual which holds the schematics as fold, however I will not have access until end of this week to verify, I guess.

I did a high level emulator for it some time ago (https://hp9845.net/9845/projects/9111/).

-Ansgar

Ansgar

Just uploaded.

-Ansgar

fulivi@...

Thanks a lot!
--F.Ulivi

David Collins

Ansgar, thanks for this.  If you have the time, getting copies of the parts list pages and the board layouts would also be very helpful.  Photos from a phone would be fine if a scanned copy isn’t possible.

Thanks again,

David Collins