Topics

The photo of the 16 bit sos chip... on the header of this group...was that from a 3000/30 system or?

Ed Sharpe

The photo of the 16 bit sos chip... on the header of this group... was that from a 3000/30 system or?
We have had one of thsee since the mid 1980s

Thanks - Ed In AZ.      Smecc.org.
SMECC MUSEUM PROJECT

Klyball

Can't really read the text but the sos chips in the 300 and 30/33 were

1AB2-6003 PCU
1AB3-6003 RASS
1AB4-6003 RALU

My cpu selftest fails on test 23 RASS registers,  but thinking it is support logic rather then the chip, but I have not figured it out yet.

The back of the chip isn't readable, the.marking on the die said 1AA1.

-Rik

Ed Sharpe

OK looking  to  see  about the  chip on this  io group header  that  says  16 bit .... it is  embedded in  resin and has a blue background.......   what   16 bit silicon on sapphire  chip was  first used   in which  HP system......

ed#

In a message dated 1/9/2021 11:47:35 AM US Mountain Standard Time, Grant@... writes:

Can't really read the text but the sos chips in the 300 and 30/33 were

1AB2-6003 PCU
1AB3-6003 RASS
1AB4-6003 RALU

My cpu selftest fails on test 23 RASS registers,  but thinking it is support logic rather then the chip, but I have not figured it out yet.

Ed Sharpe

this  embedded / attached photo  is  the one I am in question  of.
the  3000/30  was   first  3000 to  use  SOS  technology Microprocessor.... but  perhaps  some  workstations  did also?

I have one of these HP cpu chips in a  resin block as  pictured on this group's home page..;

Just  trying  to  figure  which  system used  this processor  first?

I have  had this  artifact  since the mid 80's...

Looking  to learn more!

Ed#

In a message dated 1/9/2021 12:10:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time, hp-fix@... writes:

The back of the chip isn't readable, the.marking on the die said 1AA1.

-Rik

Steve Leibson

My personal recollection:

The SOS processor based on the HP 3000 architecture was specifically developed for Amigo (HP 300). The desk-sized HP 300 required a chip implementation of the HP 3000 processor because of its relatively small physical size. After it had been developed, the HP 3000 group went ahead and used it, after crippling and then killing off Amigo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_300

Development of the HP 300 SOS processor is more fully detailed here:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1979-07.pdf

These events of the dark past are all artifacts of the federalist approach to computer development HP was taking in the late 1970s. Nearly a dozen HP divisions were all busy developing mutually incompatible computer systems. IBM had experienced this problem in the early 1960s and the unifying IBM 360 architecture resulted.

--Steve

On 1/9/2021 12:16 PM, Ed Sharpe via groups.io wrote:
this  embedded / attached photo  is  the one I am in question  of.
the  3000/30  was   first  3000 to  use  SOS  technology Microprocessor.... but  perhaps  some  workstations  did also?

I have one of these HP cpu chips in a  resin block as  pictured on this group's home page..;

Just  trying  to  figure  which  system used  this processor  first?

I have  had this  artifact  since the mid 80's...

Looking  to learn more!

Ed#

In a message dated 1/9/2021 12:10:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time, hp-fix@... writes:

The back of the chip isn't readable, the.marking on the die said 1AA1.

Steve Leibson

Phone (Cell): 408-910-5992
Phone (Home): 408-292-4930

Please feel free to link to me on LinkedIn

History site: www.hp9825.com

#Iwork4Intel

Ed Sharpe

Steve  -Thanks  Let me digest  this  I had almost forgotten the  300 I had seen in it  HP catalogs but  never one in person.  Thanks  Ed#