Topics

SRM/UX success

Dave McGuire

This may be "old hat", but maybe not because I don't see much talk about it here. (or anywhere else, for that matter)

Tonight I succeeded in bringing up a small SRM network, with an SRM/UX server and one client, using SRM coax interfaces. (not Ethernet) The server is a 9000-332 running HP-UX 9, and the client is a 9826, booting the minimal install of BASIC v6 that's packaged with SRM/UX.

The important thing here is that I was able to do this only with software that has been archived and is available, and a few 50962A boards via eBay. Now I have a nice, small machine running in a rack from which other HP9000 systems can boot. And since it's a UNIX machine on the network, I can back it up, etc.

This setup is important for me because I do a lot of calibration work, which usually means RMB software.

Setting this up isn't particularly difficult, and it seems to work well.

Next, I must figure out how to install/generate/etc other versions of BASIC, and figure out how to find or generate the optional extensions. I've very little knowledge of RMB in the admin context.

And, of course, now I've got to find a few more of those SRM coax interface boards.

rmb_guru

Congratulations Dave on getting SRM/UX running.

I worked at HP for over 20 years in the Microwave Instrument Divisions here in Northern California.  I setup and maintained many SRM and SRM/UX systems, along with HPBASIC administration and programming.

Let me know if I can be of help, I still have all of my notes and most of the documentation.  You can e-mail me directly if you want, we could even do some Zoom meetings if that would be helpful.

I don't have a functioning SRM or SRM/UX system at home at the present, but I do have a functioning HP382, HP9836C and a HP332R (rack mounted system with touchscreen).

Dave McGuire

On 8/9/20 4:57 AM, rmb_guru via groups.io wrote:
Congratulations Dave on getting SRM/UX running.
Thanks!

I worked at HP for over 20 years in the Microwave Instrument Divisions here in Northern California.  I setup and maintained many SRM and SRM/UX systems, along with HPBASIC administration and programming.
Let me know if I can be of help, I still have all of my notes and most of the documentation.  You can e-mail me directly if you want, we could even do some Zoom meetings if that would be helpful.
Thank your for your kind offer. I've gotten things running nicely, but I do have a couple of issues that I'd like to run by you. I'll email you privately in a moment.

I don't have a functioning SRM or SRM/UX system at home at the present, but I do have a functioning HP382, HP9836C and a HP332R (rack mounted system with touchscreen).
Nice! I've looked at those 332R machines; they look great but they always command fairly big bucks on eBay so I've not chased them yet.

Dave McGuire

On 8/9/20 4:57 AM, rmb_guru via groups.io wrote:
Congratulations Dave on getting SRM/UX running.
I worked at HP for over 20 years in the Microwave Instrument Divisions here in Northern California.  I setup and maintained many SRM and SRM/UX systems, along with HPBASIC administration and programming.
Let me know if I can be of help, I still have all of my notes and most of the documentation.  You can e-mail me directly if you want, we could even do some Zoom meetings if that would be helpful.
I don't have a functioning SRM or SRM/UX system at home at the present, but I do have a functioning HP382, HP9836C and a HP332R (rack mounted system with touchscreen).
Hey! I did email you privately about a few things; was wondering if my messages had gotten through.

rmb_guru

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 07:28 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
Hey! I did email you privately about a few things; was wondering if my messages had gotten through.

-Dave
Dave,

Sorry, I haven't received any e-mail from you.  I'm not sure what happened.  You can try again.

Unfortunately your groups.io profile isn't set correctly/completely for me to send an e-mail to you.

I'll try sending an e-mail through groups.io to myself to see if that works...

Let me know when you try again...

Dave McGuire

On 8/11/20 5:23 PM, rmb_guru via groups.io wrote:
Hey! I did email you privately about a few things; was wondering if
my messages had gotten through.

Sorry, I haven't received any e-mail from you.  I'm not sure what happened.  You can try again.
Please look in your spam folder; it probably ended up there.

Unfortunately your groups.io profile isn't set correctly/completely for me to send an e-mail to you.
Mail email address should be visible here. If it's not, it's mcguire@neurotica.com. That's the address from which I sent you email a few days ago.

I'll try sending an e-mail through groups.io to myself to see if that works...
Don't do it through groups.io, just use email...much simpler.

rmb_guru

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 02:23 PM, rmb_guru wrote:
I'll try sending an e-mail through groups.io to myself to see if that works...
I just sent an e-mail to myself through groups.io and so far it HASN'T arrived, so it appears that the groups.io e-mail forwarding isn't working.

Try sending me an e-mail using my groups.io member name with yahoo.com as the @domain.

Dave McGuire

On 8/11/20 5:47 PM, rmb_guru via groups.io wrote:
I'll try sending an e-mail through groups.io to myself to see if
that works...
I just sent an e-mail to myself through groups.io and so far it HASN'T arrived, so it appears that the groups.io e-mail forwarding isn't working.
Yeah...This is a mailing list that happens to have a web front-end. It's best to treat it as a mailing list, for this and many other reasons.

Try sending me an e-mail using my groups.io member name with yahoo.com as the @domain.
That's what I did. It's probably in your spam folder. Look around 8/9 at 8:36PM, and 8/10 at 1:23AM, Eastern time.

Dave McGuire

On 8/11/20 5:47 PM, rmb_guru via groups.io wrote:
I'll try sending an e-mail through groups.io to myself to see if
that works...
I just sent an e-mail to myself through groups.io and so far it HASN'T arrived, so it appears that the groups.io e-mail forwarding isn't working.
Try sending me an e-mail using my groups.io member name with yahoo.com as the @domain.
I just looked at the logs on my mail server. It looks like Yahoo's ail server accepted my message and delivered it. (at least the first one, I didn't check the second, my mail server logs are very large).

Dave

rmb_guru

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 02:50 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
That's what I did. It's probably in your spam folder. Look around 8/9 at 8:36PM, and 8/10 at 1:23AM, Eastern time.

-Dave
OK, I finally found them hiding the in the "Bulk Mail" folder, I'll look them over and get back to you...

Dave McGuire

On 8/11/20 5:56 PM, rmb_guru via groups.io wrote:
That's what I did. It's probably in your spam folder. Look around
8/9 at 8:36PM, and 8/10 at 1:23AM, Eastern time.
OK, I finally found them hiding the in the "Bulk Mail" folder,
Friggin' Yahoo..

I'll look them over and get back to you...
Thanks!

Martin Trusler

Hi Dave
I was just looking back at your posts on this topic. I am planning to setup an SRM/UX network running on LAN but I haven't been able to install the software on the server (which is a model 385). I have obtained an iso image of the SRM/UX software (E2085C, revision A.01.03) from the museum but the disc image appears to be corrupted and, when burnt to CD-R, HP-UX refuses to mount it. This contrasts with BASIC/UX which I also obtained from the museum as an iso image, burnt to disc and installed successfully using /etc/update. Where did you obtain the SRM/UX software from?
Many thanks for any help you can offer!
Martin

Dave McGuire

On 1/15/21 1:54 PM, Martin Trusler wrote:
I was just looking back at your posts on this topic. I am planning to setup an SRM/UX network running on LAN but I haven't been able to install the software on the server (which is a model 385). I have obtained an iso image of the SRM/UX software (E2085C, revision A.01.03) from the museum but the disc image appears to be corrupted and, when burnt to CD-R, HP-UX refuses to mount it. This contrasts with BASIC/UX which I also obtained from the museum as an iso image, burnt to disc and installed successfully using /etc/update. Where did you obtain the SRM/UX software from?
Many thanks for any help you can offer!
Yes, I hit the same problem, using the same file. The file isn't a CDROM image. Despite its filename, it's actually a tar file. I just extracted it and pointed the installer to it, and it worked fine.

Martin Trusler

Thanks Dave - that explains it!
Martin

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 19:22, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:
On 1/15/21 1:54 PM, Martin Trusler wrote:
> I was just looking back at your posts on this topic. I am planning to
> setup an SRM/UX network running on LAN but I haven't been able to
> install the software on the server (which is a model 385). I have
> obtained an iso image of the SRM/UX software (E2085C, revision A.01.03)
> from the museum but the disc image appears to be corrupted and, when
> burnt to CD-R, HP-UX refuses to mount it. This contrasts with BASIC/UX
> which I also obtained from the museum as an iso image, burnt to disc and
> installed successfully using /etc/update. Where did you obtain the
> SRM/UX software from?
> Many thanks for any help you can offer!

   Yes, I hit the same problem, using the same file.  The file isn't a
CDROM image.  Despite its filename, it's actually a tar file.  I just
extracted it and pointed the installer to it, and it worked fine.

J P Martin Trusler
Sent from my iThing

Dave McGuire

You're welcome. Good luck getting it running; let me know if you run into trouble and I'll help if I can.

-Dave

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 19:22, Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com <mailto:mcguire@neurotica.com>> wrote:
On 1/15/21 1:54 PM, Martin Trusler wrote:
> I was just looking back at your posts on this topic. I am
planning to
> setup an SRM/UX network running on LAN but I haven't been able to
> install the software on the server (which is a model 385). I have
> obtained an iso image of the SRM/UX software (E2085C, revision
A.01.03)
> from the museum but the disc image appears to be corrupted and, when
> burnt to CD-R, HP-UX refuses to mount it. This contrasts with
BASIC/UX
> which I also obtained from the museum as an iso image, burnt to
disc and
> installed successfully using /etc/update. Where did you obtain the
> SRM/UX software from?
> Many thanks for any help you can offer!
   Yes, I hit the same problem, using the same file.  The file isn't a
CDROM image.  Despite its filename, it's actually a tar file.  I just
extracted it and pointed the installer to it, and it worked fine.
J P Martin Trusler
Sent from my iThing

Martin Trusler

Hi Dave
SRM/UX is up! Installation and configuration was pretty easy with just one glitch in my case: the version of BASIC/WS which gets installed on the server by default (6.1) doesn't support 68040 machines. Once I realised that, I booted the client machine locally with version 6.4, used STORE SYSTEM to put the system on the SRM/UX server and finally edited etc/boottab to make it bootable.

Good to see also that SRM/UX is perfectly happy running on an HP-UX cluster server, so that hp-ux, basic or pascal can be booted by clients.

Martin

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 02:48, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...> wrote:

   You're welcome.  Good luck getting it running; let me know if you run
into trouble and I'll help if I can.

              -Dave

On 1/15/21 4:08 PM, Martin Trusler wrote:
> Thanks Dave - that explains it!
> Martin
>
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 19:22, Dave McGuire <mcguire@...
> <mailto:mcguire@...>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/15/21 1:54 PM, Martin Trusler wrote:
>      > I was just looking back at your posts on this topic. I am
>     planning to
>      > setup an SRM/UX network running on LAN but I haven't been able to
>      > install the software on the server (which is a model 385). I have
>      > obtained an iso image of the SRM/UX software (E2085C, revision
>     A.01.03)
>      > from the museum but the disc image appears to be corrupted and, when
>      > burnt to CD-R, HP-UX refuses to mount it. This contrasts with
>     BASIC/UX
>      > which I also obtained from the museum as an iso image, burnt to
>     disc and
>      > installed successfully using /etc/update. Where did you obtain the
>      > SRM/UX software from?
>      > Many thanks for any help you can offer!
>
>         Yes, I hit the same problem, using the same file.  The file isn't a
>     CDROM image.  Despite its filename, it's actually a tar file.  I just
>     extracted it and pointed the installer to it, and it worked fine.
>
>                  -Dave
>
>     --
>     Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
>     New Kensington, PA
>

> --
> J P Martin Trusler
> Sent from my iThing

J P Martin Trusler
Tel: +44 (0)7734 590826

Dave McGuire

Great, congrats! I've not set up Pascal yet, as I've only needed BASIC for some instrumentation software for work, but I will probably play with Pascal at some point.

The best thing about SRM/UX, IMO, is that everything can be quickly and trivially backed up from the UNIX side.

-Dave

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 at 02:48, Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com <mailto:mcguire@neurotica.com>> wrote:
   You're welcome.  Good luck getting it running; let me know if
you run
into trouble and I'll help if I can.
              -Dave
On 1/15/21 4:08 PM, Martin Trusler wrote:
> Thanks Dave - that explains it!
> Martin
>
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 19:22, Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com
<mailto:mcguire@neurotica.com>
> <mailto:mcguire@neurotica.com <mailto:mcguire@neurotica.com>>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/15/21 1:54 PM, Martin Trusler wrote:
>      > I was just looking back at your posts on this topic. I am
>     planning to
>      > setup an SRM/UX network running on LAN but I haven't been
able to
>      > install the software on the server (which is a model 385).
I have
>      > obtained an iso image of the SRM/UX software (E2085C, revision
>     A.01.03)
>      > from the museum but the disc image appears to be corrupted
and, when
>      > burnt to CD-R, HP-UX refuses to mount it. This contrasts with
>     BASIC/UX
>      > which I also obtained from the museum as an iso image,
burnt to
>     disc and
>      > installed successfully using /etc/update. Where did you
obtain the
>      > SRM/UX software from?
>      > Many thanks for any help you can offer!
>
>         Yes, I hit the same problem, using the same file.  The
file isn't a
>     CDROM image.  Despite its filename, it's actually a tar
file.  I just
>     extracted it and pointed the installer to it, and it worked fine.
>
>                  -Dave
>
>     --
>     Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
>     New Kensington, PA
>

> --
> J P Martin Trusler
> Sent from my iThing

J P Martin Trusler
Email: martin.trusler@gmail.com <mailto:martin.trusler@gmail.com>
Tel: +44 (0)7734 590826

Is the file available on the museum website?
And does it use the internal ethernet controller from your 385 ?

Dave McGuire

On 1/16/21 12:32 PM, Rik Bos wrote:
Is the file available on the museum website?
It is. Or perhaps indirectly, I don't recall offhand.

And does it use the internal ethernet controller from your 385 ?
On my 382 it can, at least. I'm using SRM COAX boards in my setup.

Martin Trusler

The file is available on request from the museum and it support both lan and SRM hardware. I’m using the LAN connection and it’s working great.
As Dave pointed out, the file from the museum is actually a tar archive and not a CD image!
Martin