Topics

Loader Error on 1000 A600+

Colin Eby

Hi --

Can I just check the experience of others who've debugged VCP loading on the 1000A?

I'm attempting to get my A600+ to boot over a 12009A HP-IB interface from Rik's disk image hosting on a PC running HPDrive. The A600+ isn't liking it. I could use some advice.

I run:
VCP> %BDC
It returns:
LDER ERR 3
The manuals says that means "No card with that select code." The select code should be 27 (octal). I've now treble checked the select switches.  I have them as:
^--^-^^^
The select code is the last 8 switches.  The first switch is set to enable system controller behaviour. The second is set down for fast devices. That all appears to be by the book. Also VCP comes up without a problem.  The error lamps show -----*** which should just mean VCP is running. The registers show A=2, which should mean there are two IO controllers detected on the bus, and B=4004. That's the VCP version isn't it?

I then switched to running:
VCP> %BDC27

It returned:
LDER ERR 411

That's better, isn't it?  That error should mean a timeout:
TO reading disc type or error in initialization process; check HP-IB adrs, card, cable; or for SCSI check condition after inquiry command

At this point I switched on tracing in HPDrive. What it showed was two Interface Clear Received events (IFC) and nothing else. I even tried running `%BDC002027`.

Any thoughts on what my most fruitful next steps might be?

I'm thinking of buzzing all the lines of the cable out.  All this kit is straight off eBay of course.  So it could be anything. But I'd love it if any of your had some wisdom to spare.

Kind regards,
Colin

Glen Slick

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:05 PM Colin Eby <@ColinEby> wrote:

Hi --

Can I just check the experience of others who've debugged VCP loading on the 1000A?

I'm attempting to get my A600+ to boot over a 12009A HP-IB interface from Rik's disk image hosting on a PC running HPDrive. The A600+ isn't liking it. I could use some advice.

I run:

VCP> %BDC

It returns:

LDER ERR 3

The manuals says that means "No card with that select code." The select code should be 27 (octal). I've now treble checked the select switches. I have them as:

^--^-^^^

The select code is the last 8 switches. The first switch is set to enable system controller behaviour. The second is set down for fast devices. That all appears to be by the book. Also VCP comes up without a problem. The error lamps show -----*** which should just mean VCP is running. The registers show A=2, which should mean there are two IO controllers detected on the bus, and B=4004. That's the VCP version isn't it?

I then switched to running:

VCP> %BDC27

It returned:

LDER ERR 411

That's better, isn't it? That error should mean a timeout:

TO reading disc type or error in initialization process; check HP-IB adrs, card, cable; or for SCSI check condition after inquiry command

At this point I switched on tracing in HPDrive. What it showed was two Interface Clear Received events (IFC) and nothing else. I even tried running `%BDC002027`.
I don't remember ever trying the pre-built RTE-A disk image here:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=495

Instead I used HPDrive configured as a tape drive to boot the RTE-A
6.2 primary system installation tape image, and then installed RTE-A
to a physical hard drive.

Anyway, if the 12009A HP-IB card is configured at select code 27, and
HPDrive is configured to emulate the drive at HP-IB address 2 then
VCP> %BDC2027 should work if everything is set up correctly.

BTW, do you have the capability to program EPROMs? VCP firmware
version 4004 is an earlier version. If you update to version 4020 or
later VCP will print a helpful list of I/O card select codes on
power-up and reset. You also need version 4020 or later for D versions
of the 12040 MUX. As far as I know the final version of VCP is 4025.
You need to program a couple of 8KB 2764 EPROMs for the 12102 or 12110
memory controller board to update the firmware.

Colin Eby

I should be able to burn later EPROM if that would help.

-Colin

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 at 03:15, Glen Slick <glen.slick@...> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:05 PM Colin Eby <colin.eby.uk@...> wrote:

> Hi --
>
> Can I just check the experience of others who've debugged VCP loading on the 1000A?
>
> I'm attempting to get my A600+ to boot over a 12009A HP-IB interface from Rik's disk image hosting on a PC running HPDrive. The A600+ isn't liking it. I could use some advice.
>
> I run:
>
> VCP> %BDC
>
> It returns:
>
> LDER ERR 3
>
> The manuals says that means "No card with that select code." The select code should be 27 (octal). I've now treble checked the select switches.  I have them as:
>
> ^--^-^^^
>
> The select code is the last 8 switches.  The first switch is set to enable system controller behaviour. The second is set down for fast devices. That all appears to be by the book. Also VCP comes up without a problem.  The error lamps show -----*** which should just mean VCP is running. The registers show A=2, which should mean there are two IO controllers detected on the bus, and B=4004. That's the VCP version isn't it?
>
> I then switched to running:
>
> VCP> %BDC27
>

> It returned:
>
> LDER ERR 411
>

> That's better, isn't it?  That error should mean a timeout:
>
> TO reading disc type or error in initialization process; check HP-IB adrs, card, cable; or for SCSI check condition after inquiry command
>

> At this point I switched on tracing in HPDrive. What it showed was two Interface Clear Received events (IFC) and nothing else. I even tried running `%BDC002027`.

I don't remember ever trying the pre-built RTE-A disk image here:
http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=495

Instead I used HPDrive configured as a tape drive to boot the RTE-A
6.2 primary system installation tape image, and then installed RTE-A
to a physical hard drive.

Anyway, if the 12009A HP-IB card is configured at select code 27, and
HPDrive is configured to emulate the drive at HP-IB address 2 then
VCP> %BDC2027 should work if everything is set up correctly.

BTW, do you have the capability to program EPROMs? VCP firmware
version 4004 is an earlier version. If you update to version 4020 or
later VCP will print a helpful list of I/O card select codes on
power-up and reset. You also need version 4020 or later for D versions
of the 12040 MUX. As far as I know the final version of VCP is 4025.
You need to program a couple of 8KB 2764 EPROMs for the 12102 or 12110
memory controller board to update the firmware.

Roland Dietiker

Hello Collin

Looks your config of the S1 like this, except you is configured für SC 27B not like on the image for 67B ? (it was the only switch which I get simply access for photo....)

Check also that the card is correct in the slot, it need sometime a little bit force to plug it completely….

As Glen mentioned, I would also propose to move to newer VCP Version like 4025 which was the latest VCP Version.

Attached the VCP Code (4025). It works with 12005A/B  and 12040 A-D Muxes as well. So you could make first step with VCP and „?“ Help facility.

Bootup Disk Image:

Please note that Riks Image needs a 12005A/B Asyn Card at SC 20B, this means, even you are successful with bootup, A MUX is not configured as Systemconsol (Lu1). Depending of the configuration of Answer-, Boot- and Welcomefile, it could be possible to get enter without Console, but I have never played with Riks config.

Maybe he has some hints if you have a 12040 Mux card only.

Best regards, i hope it helps

Roland

> Can I just check the experience of others who've debugged VCP loading on the 1000A?

> I'm attempting to get my A600+ to boot over a 12009A HP-IB interface from Rik's disk image hosting on a PC running HPDrive. The A600+ isn't liking it. I could use some advice.

> I run:

> VCP> %BDC

> It returns:

> LDER ERR 3

> The manuals says that means "No card with that select code." The select code should be 27 (octal). I've now treble checked the select switches.  I have them as:

> ^--^-^^^

> The select code is the last 8 switches.  The first switch is set to enable system controller behaviour. The second is set down for fast devices. That all appears to be by the book. Also VCP comes up without a problem.  The error lamps show -----*** which should just mean VCP is running. The registers show A=2, which should mean there are two IO controllers detected on the bus, and B=4004. That's the VCP version isn't it?

> I then switched to running:

> VCP> %BDC27

> It returned:

> LDER ERR 411

> That's better, isn't it?  That error should mean a timeout:

> TO reading disc type or error in initialization process; check HP-IB

> adrs, card, cable; or for SCSI check condition after inquiry command

> At this point I switched on tracing in HPDrive. What it showed was two Interface Clear Received events (IFC) and nothing else. I even tried running `%BDC002027`.

I don't remember ever trying the pre-built RTE-A disk image here:

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=495

Instead I used HPDrive configured as a tape drive to boot the RTE-A

6.2 primary system installation tape image, and then installed RTE-A to a physical hard drive.

Anyway, if the 12009A HP-IB card is configured at select code 27, and HPDrive is configured to emulate the drive at HP-IB address 2 then

VCP> %BDC2027 should work if everything is set up correctly.

BTW, do you have the capability to program EPROMs? VCP firmware version 4004 is an earlier version. If you update to version 4020 or later VCP will print a helpful list of I/O card select codes on power-up and reset. You also need version 4020 or later for D versions of the 12040 MUX. As far as I know the final version of VCP is 4025.

You need to program a couple of 8KB 2764 EPROMs for the 12102 or 12110 memory controller board to update the firmware.

Colin,

At first the disc image was made from an A600+ and it basically should run on every A system with a 12009A HP-IB card and VCP interface installed.

It is the basic image from which you do the installation and configuration.

You also can choose to use the tape image running from HPDrive, I’ll upload those to the group.

Looking at the errors, I should suspect the HP-IB card and check if all the chips are seated well and if your dipswitches are working (use a continuity test for open and close of the switches)

It will be not the first time having a bad switch ruining the configuration.

To use the Fast HP-IB option a resistor pack should be installed, the place differs because there are several versions of the 12009 cards.

-Rik

Can I just check the experience of others who've debugged VCP loading on the 1000A?

I'm attempting to get my A600+ to boot over a 12009A HP-IB interface from Rik's disk image hosting on a PC running HPDrive. The A600+ isn't liking it. I could use some advice.

I run:

VCP> %BDC

It returns:

LDER ERR 3

The manuals says that means "No card with that select code." The select code should be 27 (octal). I've now treble checked the select switches.  I have them as:

^--^-^^^

The select code is the last 8 switches.  The first switch is set to enable system controller behaviour. The second is set down for fast devices. That all appears to be by the book. Also VCP comes up without a problem.  The error lamps show -----*** which should just mean VCP is running. The registers show A=2, which should mean there are two IO controllers detected on the bus, and B=4004. That's the VCP version isn't it?

I then switched to running:

VCP> %BDC27

It returned:

LDER ERR 411

That's better, isn't it?  That error should mean a timeout:

TO reading disc type or error in initialization process; check HP-IB adrs, card, cable; or for SCSI check condition after inquiry command

At this point I switched on tracing in HPDrive. What it showed was two Interface Clear Received events (IFC) and nothing else. I even tried running `%BDC002027`.

Any thoughts on what my most fruitful next steps might be?

I'm thinking of buzzing all the lines of the cable out.  All this kit is straight off eBay of course.  So it could be anything. But I'd love it if any of your had some wisdom to spare.

Kind regards,

Colin

Colin Eby

Hi -

It’s the 12005 I have. And it’s set select code 20B. That should mean my config matches Rik’s image.

Thanks for the PROM images.  It’ll take a me a few days to source a swing kit swap, but I’ll let you know if that makes any difference.

Kind regards,
Colin

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 at 08:30, Roland Dietiker <roland.dietiker@...> wrote:

> [...]

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=495

Instead I used HPDrive configured as a tape drive to boot the RTE-A

6.2 primary system installation tape image, and then installed RTE-A to a physical hard drive.

Anyway, if the 12009A HP-IB card is configured at select code 27, and HPDrive is configured to emulate the drive at HP-IB address 2 then

VCP> %BDC2027 should work if everything is set up correctly.

BTW, do you have the capability to program EPROMs? VCP firmware version 4004 is an earlier version. If you update to version 4020 or later VCP will print a helpful list of I/O card select codes on power-up and reset. You also need version 4020 or later for D versions of the 12040 MUX. As far as I know the final version of VCP is 4025.

You need to program a couple of 8KB 2764 EPROMs for the 12102 or 12110 memory controller board to update the firmware.

Thanks for the advice!

I’ll double check the terminator pack and the switches.  I think I will also buzz out the cable.  If I’m not getting signals in the trace from HPDrive, then I’m a little worried.

Oh and thanks for the uploads.  That gives me a few more options, though I don’t currently have an HP-IB hard drive I could use.

Kind regards,
Colin

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 1:30 AM Roland Dietiker <roland.dietiker@...> wrote:

Attached the VCP Code (4025). It works with 12005A/B and 12040 A-D Muxes as well. So you could make first step with VCP and „?“ Help facility.
I can confirm that those two EPROM image files are an exact binary
match of the VCP version 4025 images I dumped from EPROM parts
5181-8680 and 5181-8681 from some of my A-series CPUs. They should be
saved in the files section of the group.

That VCP version 4025 should be compatible with A400, A600, A600+,
A700, and A900 CPUs, although it would need to be split into 4KB
halves for 2732A EPROMs on the A700 Memory Controller board, and on
old version of the A900 Cache Control board with 24-pin EPROM sockets
each 8KB image would need to have its 2KB chunks shuffled due to the
high order address pins of a Motorola 68764/68766 EPROM being swapped
relative to the PCB design.

Roland Dietiker

I put my Firmware Inventory to /HP1000/A-Series/A-Series Firmware. I hope it helps.
Rgds
Roland

Attached the VCP Code (4025). It works with 12005A/B and 12040 A-D Muxes as well. So you could make first step with VCP and „?“ Help facility.
I can confirm that those two EPROM image files are an exact binary match of the VCP version 4025 images I dumped from EPROM parts
5181-8680 and 5181-8681 from some of my A-series CPUs. They should be saved in the files section of the group.

That VCP version 4025 should be compatible with A400, A600, A600+, A700, and A900 CPUs, although it would need to be split into 4KB halves for 2732A EPROMs on the A700 Memory Controller board, and on old version of the A900 Cache Control board with 24-pin EPROM sockets each 8KB image would need to have its 2KB chunks shuffled due to the high order address pins of a Motorola 68764/68766 EPROM being swapped relative to the PCB design.

Glen Slick

Below is an example of the VCP output from version 4025, in this case
on an A900 CPU. The I/O table lists the Select Code of all installed
cards, and which card is configured as the VCP console.

Some of the common ID codes are:
000 = 12005 "ASIC"
004 = 12009 "HPIB"
106 = 12040 "MUX"
115 = 12016 "SCSI"
177 = A400 "OBIO"

Another nice feature is the added block count during the %M memory test.

Installed I/O Cards
ID Rev SC
004 0 27
106 0 23 <-- VCP

HP 1000 A-Series ? for Help
A900 CPU 3072KB Memory

P 00000 M 00000 T 000000 RW 000000
A 000002 B 004025 X 011404 Y 000000 E 0 O 0
VCP> ?

A,B,X,Y,Q,Z,P,G,V,E,O,I R20-R32 I/O
Lnn List memory RC CIR
M Address RI Int Mask
T Data@M (N=M+1 D=M-1 @=M@T) RS Switches
%R Run RP Parity
%E Run P=2 RMnn Map nn [Pnn Page nn]
%T Test RW WMAP
%P Preset RD Diagnose Mode
%C Clear Memory RF I/O flags
%F Fill memory with value in A
%M Extended Memory Test
%S Make parity error
%XDVFFBUSC[string[,ss]]
X: Boot, Load, Write
DV: CT RM DC DS MT DI EP
FF: File
B: Bus add.
U: Unit
SC: Select code

VCP> %M
3072KB Memory Extended Memory Test
This is a Destructive Memory Test!
Do you want to continue? (Y/N) Y
Are you sure? (Y/N) Y
Do you want to loop on error? (Y/N) N

Scan Memory for parity errors

Address test - Pass 1
Address test - Pass 2
Address test completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 0 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 1 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 2 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 3 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 4 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 5 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 6 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 7 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 8 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 9 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 10 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 11 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 12 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 13 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 14 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 15 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 16 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 17 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 18 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 19 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 20 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 21 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 22 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 23 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 24 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 25 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 26 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 27 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 28 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 29 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 30 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 31 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 32 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 33 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 34 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 35 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 36 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 37 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 38 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 39 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 40 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 41 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 42 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 43 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 44 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 45 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 46 completed
Pattern test on 32KW block 47 completed
Pattern test completed

Extended Memory Test completed successfully

3072KB Memory Clear Memory

Colin Eby

Hi,

The way I read the docs, I should order a pair of PROMS P/N AM27S35. Are there any EEPROM parts that are useable swaps, or should I stick to the originals?

I only ask I will have to get back to the museum to use their programmer for a PROM. The little USB job I have around the house can’t drive the required voltages.

Kind regards,
Colin

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 2:19 PM Colin Eby <@ColinEby> wrote:

Hi,

The way I read the docs, I should order a pair of PROMS P/N AM27S35. Are there any EEPROM parts that are useable swaps, or should I stick to the originals?
The 7 AM27S35 1024x8 Bipolar Registered PROMs are the 56-bit wide
microcode on the A600 12101 or A600+ 12105 Processor Card.

The A600 or A600+ VCP firmware is located in the 2764 8KB EPROMs on
the 12102 Parity Memory Controller Card or the 12110 ECC Memory
Controller Card. Those are the EPROMs you would want to update for a
newer version of the VCP firmware.

Glen Slick

The 7 AM27S35 1024x8 Bipolar Registered PROMs are the 56-bit wide
microcode on the A600 12101 or A600+ 12105 Processor Card.
A correction to that. The HP 1000 A600/A600+ Computer Engineering and
Reference Documentation, 02156-90003, does list AM27S35 1024x8 Bipolar
Registered PROMs for the A600 12101 Processor Card microcode. I don't
see an update with a detailed section on the A600+ 12105 Processor
Card.

The A600+ 12105 Processor Card must use 2048x8 PROMs for the microcode
with the additions for the Code and Data Separation (CDS) instructions
that are not implemented in the A600 12101 Processor Card. Without
taking a look at the PROMs on a A600+ 12105 Processor Card I'm not
sure what part they originally used.

Is there an updated A600/A600+ manual that has schematics for the
A600+ 12105 Processor Card, the 12110 ECC Memory Controller Card, and
the 12111 ECC Memory Array Card?

But anyway, you wouldn't be changing the microcode PROMs on an A600 or
A600+ Processor Card to update the VCP firmware.

Glen Slick

The A600+ 12105 Processor Card must use 2048x8 PROMs for the microcode
with the additions for the Code and Data Separation (CDS) instructions
that are not implemented in the A600 12101 Processor Card. Without
taking a look at the PROMs on a A600+ 12105 Processor Card I'm not
sure what part they originally used.
Just to answer my own question above, the A600+ 12105 Processor Card
uses AM27S45 2048x8 Bipolar Registered PROMs for the microcode. (Went
looking on eBay and saw a couple of listings for "New" AM27S45 parts
which had 12105-80025 or 12105-80029 part numbers screened on them, so
obviously not new but already programmed OTP parts, and in this case
coincidentally with A600+ 12105 Processor Card microcode).

Colin Eby

Cool thanks for sanity checking me!

Kind regards,
Colin

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 23:01, Glen Slick <glen.slick@...> wrote:

> The A600+ 12105 Processor Card must use 2048x8 PROMs for the microcode
> with the additions for the Code and Data Separation (CDS) instructions
> that are not implemented in the A600 12101 Processor Card. Without
> taking a look at the PROMs on a A600+ 12105 Processor Card I'm not
> sure what part they originally used.

Just to answer my own question above, the A600+ 12105 Processor Card
uses AM27S45 2048x8 Bipolar Registered PROMs for the microcode. (Went
looking on eBay and saw a couple of listings for "New" AM27S45 parts
which had 12105-80025 or 12105-80029 part numbers screened on them, so
obviously not new but already programmed OTP parts, and in this case
coincidentally with A600+ 12105 Processor Card microcode).

Colin Eby

REPOST from a device WITHOUT predictive text!

EPROMS are in the post. So I will give that a go.

I also double checked the cable. That seemed fine.

I need to get out the 85a to test the HPDrive rig. Hopefully I’ll get to that tonight.

One thing I did notice is I have an early version of the HP-IB controller. It’s a 12009-60001. And there are no resistor packs installed. I was confused for a while by the later release manuals on the HP Museum website. Nothing matched up. But Bitsavers does have a manual for the early one. In any case the packs are missing, and  I don’t have the right packs around. So I’ll set it for low speed and try again.

Does anyone know if using the earlier version of the controller causes issues?

Kind regards,
Colin

Roland Dietiker

Hi Collin

I used a 12009-60001 long time ago, but I was not successful with the SRQ handling. Datatransfer to and from HP-Disks (CS and SS-80 disk was well working. Due I had a newer Version of the 12009A ,I did n’t check the reason ( ID*37 Rev 5020 and DD*33 of Rev 6000).

Best regards

Roland

REPOST from a device WITHOUT predictive text!

EPROMS are in the post. So I will give that a go.

I also double checked the cable. That seemed fine.

I need to get out the 85a to test the HPDrive rig. Hopefully I’ll get to that tonight.

One thing I did notice is I have an early version of the HP-IB controller. It’s a 12009-60001. And there are no resistor packs installed. I was confused for a while by the later release manuals on the HP Museum website. Nothing matched up. But Bitsavers does have a manual for the early one. In any case the packs are missing, and  I don’t have the right packs around. So I’ll set it for low speed and try again.

Does anyone know if using the earlier version of the controller causes issues?

Kind regards,

Colin

Colin Eby

Hi folks,

So the first set of ROMs appeared to be duds. The second ones appear to be working well. I took advantage of the new features to test the memory, and thankfully all 512k is happy. Cool.

So now when I run the test, I can see the HP-IB card isn’t being recognised. That’s the culprit.

I’ve ordered up a 12009-60020. We’ll try again when that shows up.

Meantime I started playing with the 2113B. Not a lot of progress on that one yet. It did lead me to recall that I needed to work on the 2645’s keyboard if I wanted to use that. I only have a BACI, and that’s going to require the HP terminal ENQ signal. It’d be more fun if I used that anyway.

Kind regards,
Colin

On 19 Mar 2020, at 10:44, Roland Dietiker <roland.dietiker@...> wrote:

[...]

At long last I have the new card. It's in and setup.  But now I get a different error:

VCP> %BDC27

Ca··‹µou·ºHY­®Ëe½u [X/$««‘to¹])å5Q1.

 P 12774   M 12773  T 102026   RW 006002

  A 177404  B 000073  X 000000  Y 000000   E 1   O 0

Does that look at all familiar to anyone?

Kind regards,
Colin

Colin Eby

OK... big old never mind on that.  VCP was happy with the terminal settings, but RTE wasn't.

In other words, IT LIVES.

Thanks to everyone for you help so far.

Kind regards,
Colin