Topics

Identifying and sharing a large assortment of vintage HP boards

Guy Dunphy

Today I won this evil-bay auction:
Item 174036836066
https://www.ebay.com/itm/90-lbs-Vintage-HP-Computer-Circuit-Boards-PCB-Gold-Scrap-Precious-Metal-Recovery/174036836066
90 lbs Vintage HP Computer Circuit Boards PCB Gold Scrap Precious Metal Recovery

They were being sold as and bid on as 'gold scrap'. I bid to save them from that fate.
The auction was discussed on cctalk. See 'HP vintage boards being sold as scrap'

I have the original seller's photos online as a zip: http://everist.org/pics/pcbs/pics.zip 3.5 MB.
A few of the boards have been identified:

* About 13 HP 44430A 12/13 bit isolated DtoA, current out. (Some may be the voltage out 44429A)
Rear left pile. I'm keeping those, minus two to someone else.

* A stack of IO interface boards, including HSTs, for the HP 2100/1000 series.
Lower-right stack in this pic, 7 boards, boards have one red and one grey handle:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n08AAOSwjY5dg5Kd/s-l1600.jpg
I'm putting together a HP 1000 system atm, so may want some of these.

Any other identifications?

I'm in Sydney Australia. This presented a logistics problem, which is solved.
I have a 'storage, sorting and posting' volunteer, in Marylands USA (relatively close to the seller.)

For each type of board, we'll have:
- A good hi-res photo of one.
- Note of any identifying numbers, version, etc.
- Count of how many there are.
- Notes of any individual damage, removed ICs, etc.
- What we know of what they _are_, as this is discovered.

These will go up on my site at http://everist.org/pics/pcbs

Discussion about identifying boards, and who wants what, prices, etc,
should be offlist via me: @TerraHertz

I don't expect to make a profit, just alleviate the cost somewhat.

As boards are assigned, you can discuss postage cost and details with the guy in Marylands.

Guy

Mattis Lind

Any other identifications?

I think there are quite some HP 9000 200-series 256 k memory boards there as well.

Guy,

You got a lot of boards for the HP 6942A Multiprogrammer and I think I also
spotted some boards for HP 3497A Data Aqcuisition Unit.
See http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?hwimg=533 for the HP 6942A.

-Rik

[...]

Correction: the person storing and handling the boards is in Maryland USA, not Marylands.

Brain slip, due to there being a suburb not far from my place in Sydney Australia, called Merrylands. (Yes, _multiple_ errors.)

Guy

rmb_guru

FYI,

In looking at your pics,  the stacks of boards (98256A) with the Yellow and Red pull tabs (pics #10 & 11) are HP9000 Series 200 256k RAM cards.  Anyone with 9826, 9836 or 9920 desktop computers would want them.

Paul Berger

On 2019-09-30 3:11 p.m., rmb_guru via Groups.Io wrote:
FYI,

In looking at your pics,  the stacks of boards (98256A) with the Yellow and Red pull tabs (pics #10 & 11) are HP9000 Series 200 256k RAM cards.  Anyone with 9826, 9836 or 9920 desktop computers would want them.
_._,_._,_

The 256K cards are not that attractive when 1MB cards are readily available and even 4MB cards are around.

Paul.

rmb_guru

This is true, 1MB or 4MB RAM cards are more desirable.  Back in the day when I worked at HP in the early 1980's, all we had originally were the 64k RAM cards (both pull tabs were red), 256k was a great step up.  The 1MB cards were even better when they were finally available.  With 1MB cards, even the 9816 become a bit more usable, without attaching a 9888A bus expander.  We were originally running HPL, which fit in 132kB, so 64k RAM cards worked, but when we migrated to HP BASIC WS, we definitely needed more RAM.

Rico Pajarola

FYI,

At 12:18 PM 30/09/2019 +0200, you wrote:
Guy,

You got a lot of boards for the HP 6942A Multiprogrammer and I think I also
spotted some boards for HP 3497A Data Aqcuisition Unit.
See http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?hwimg=533 for the HP 6942A.

-Rik

I knew about the 3497A boards (dual DtoA, current output.) They are the main reason I
bought the lot. I have two 3497A and one 3498A (plus the interface cables) and full
op/prog/service manuals.

All the other long narrow cards were obviously from something similar to the 3497A.
So, it's the 6942A. I didn't know about those, thanks. Don't have a 6942 system.
I won't be wanting more than a few samples of those, if any, so they'll be available very cheap.
Are they supposed to have some kind of cable connector modules attached, like most
3497A cards do?

It's rather sad that the seller has removed large 'fancy looking' ICs from sockets on
some of those boards. He seems to have a ceramic & gold fetish. Even though the chips
are of trivial value. I'll be asking him if he still has them by some chance.

Currently awaiting his reply to first contact.

I'm having so many 'communications woes' atm.
My landline phone has been dead for over a week, finally restored today. Those not living in
Australia won't know about our glorious 'NBN clusterf*ck'. National Broadband Network. Be glad you don't.
Lesson: never let government design a new, mandatory universal network carrier.
My website server (in a big server farm in Nth Sydney) went offline for some unknown reason today, still is.
The person who will know about the server situation and restoration, can't be contacted.
For some still mysterious reason, my email util decided this thread belongs in Trash.
I only just noticed and salvaged all the replies.

Guy