Topics

HP-UX disk image for the 9000-340?

Anders

My 340 is on its way, so I guess I need an image to boot from one of these days. Can some kind soul provide one? Preferably a flat (HPI) file?

Also: The manual seem to indicate that the 340 can boot from Ethernet? Does it use the standard BOOTP protocol in that case?

Bruce

I also have a 340 - I'd like to "tag along" on this expedition

I using an HPDrive for the disk

Cheers!

Bruce

Quoting Anders <anders.gustafsson@...>:

My 340 is on its way, so I guess I need an image to boot from one of these days. Can some kind soul provide one? Preferably a flat (HPI) file?

Also: The manual seem to indicate that the 340 can boot from Ethernet? Does it use the standard BOOTP protocol in that case?

Paul Berger

What version are you looking for?  I know I have a V9 image but I likely have a V7 image as well.

Paul.

On 2020-04-23 1:57 p.m., Bruce wrote:
I also have a 340 - I'd like to "tag along" on this expedition

I using an HPDrive for the disk

Cheers!

Bruce

Quoting Anders <anders.gustafsson@...>:

My 340 is on its way, so I guess I need an image to boot from one of these days. Can some kind soul provide one? Preferably a flat (HPI) file?

Also: The manual seem to indicate that the 340 can boot from Ethernet? Does it use the standard BOOTP protocol in that case?

Anders

I can take both :) Anything that runs.

Bruce

Thanke for the offer. Anything that can be copied to a pc running HP
drive and probably a boot floppy as it is not clear that HPDrive is a
good boot source

Cheers!

Bruce

On 2020-04-23 1:57 p.m., Bruce wrote:
I also have a 340 - I'd like to "tag along" on this expedition

I using an HPDrive for the disk

Cheers!

Bruce

Quoting Anders <anders.gustafsson@...>:

My 340 is on its way, so I guess I need an image to boot from one
of these days. Can some kind soul provide one? Preferably a flat
(HPI) file?

Also: The manual seem to indicate that the 340 can boot from
Ethernet? Does it use the standard BOOTP protocol in that case?

Bruce

I agree - take them both and see what I can get running
Quoting Anders <anders.gustafsson@...>:

I can take both :) Anything that runs.

Anders

I see no reason why a 300-series should not boot from either HPDisk or HPDrive as a series 200 has no problems booting from HPDisk. Time will tell though. I am also interested in testing boot over LAN if I can figure out the protocol, but I assume it is BOOTP?

Paul Berger

Bootp would be the usual but I have no idea how boot over LAN was managed on HP-UX, I have only ever done that with AIX.

Paul.

On 2020-04-23 2:10 p.m., Anders wrote:
I see no reason why a 300-series should not boot from either HPDisk or HPDrive as a series 200 has no problems booting from HPDisk. Time will tell though. I am also interested in testing boot over LAN if I can figure out the protocol, but I assume it is BOOTP?

Yes, if I remember correct there is an article about on the OpenBSD or NetBSD site. Both did support the 300 series.

-Rik

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

I see no reason why a 300-series should not boot from either HPDisk or HPDrive as a series 200 has no problems booting from HPDisk. Time will tell though. I am also interested in testing boot over LAN if I can figure out the protocol, but I assume it is BOOTP?

Anders

Cool! I will take a peek. I will also try to locate a 10mb/s hub with a coax connector :) Glad it is not thick ethernet, aka "frozen garden hose" :)

Not Bootp but HP RMB protocol, the article shines some light on the subject.

-Rik

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 7:16 PM +0200, "Rik Bos" <hp-fix@...> wrote:

Yes, if I remember correct there is an article about on the OpenBSD or NetBSD site. Both did support the 300 series.

-Rik

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 7:10 PM +0200, "Anders" <anders.gustafsson@...> wrote:

I see no reason why a 300-series should not boot from either HPDisk or HPDrive as a series 200 has no problems booting from HPDisk. Time will tell though. I am also interested in testing boot over LAN if I can figure out the protocol, but I assume it is BOOTP?

Paul Berger

Zip files that contain images uploaded to my google drive this link should get you to the directory https://drive.google.com/open?id=119Ri5sjB1Xk2QfWnMMjjsKGBsVN9H26m note that the image file names have the device type for emulation embedded in them.

Paul.

On 2020-04-23 2:10 p.m., Anders wrote:
I see no reason why a 300-series should not boot from either HPDisk or HPDrive as a series 200 has no problems booting from HPDisk. Time will tell though. I am also interested in testing boot over LAN if I can figure out the protocol, but I assume it is BOOTP?

Paul Berger

If your 340 is equipped with an AUI connector you could use a transceiver to hook up to a 10BaseT network which would probably be simpler, however oddly it appears that the AUI connector was optional on the 340.
Paul.

On 2020-04-23 2:17 p.m., Anders wrote:
Cool! I will take a peek. I will also try to locate a 10mb/s hub with a coax connector :) Glad it is not thick ethernet, aka "frozen garden hose" :)

Bruce

The author of HPDrive specifically comments that booting may be a problem because of timing. HPDrive is not able to match the actual HD timing which may effect the less sophisticated "boot" program.

Speaking of booting with BootP - what would be the boot image to use? Not the entire OS image but usually a simple boot-loader which then gets the OS image - Any ideas on how this works?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 08:48 PM, Bruce wrote:
The author of HPDrive specifically comments that booting may be a problem because of timing.
Yes. I know. Time to test I guess.

Paul Berger

I have never had any problems booting from emulated disks on HPDrive.  As for bootp it is usually only used to start up the boot process via a broadcast advertising for a bootp server which would then provide the requester with enough code for basic TCPIP operations to download a more complete boot image.  Some network attached devices that would normally not have a console, such as terminal servers,  use bootp to get their initial ip setup .

Rik says that HP-UX does not use bootp but rather uses what sounds like a proprietary protocol for network boot.

Paul.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 08:32 PM, Paul Berger wrote:
Zip files that contain images uploaded to my google drive this link should get you to the directory
Got them thanks! In this day and age, they certainly seem small. An OS inn 200kb :)

Paul Berger

Yep I remember installing AIX around the same time time as this was current from diskettes, it was a bit painful but it could be done.  HP-UX 7 seems to have been mostly distributed on QIC tapes, only slightly faster than diskettes but by version 9 it was available on these new CDROMs.

Paul.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 09:17 PM, Paul Berger wrote:
have never had any problems booting from emulated disks on HPDrive.
Good to know. I guess a lot will depend on the speed of the PC running HPDrive, just as the actual speed of the PIC for HPDisk. Generally are disks slow anyway, but some things, like the reply to a Parallell Poll or IDENT tend to be picky. That being said, HP 200 and HP 300 seem to have very similar BOOT roms so we shall see in a week or two,

Jack Rubin

Thanks - I grabbed them too and had the same reaction as Anders did about their size. Lots in a small package.
www.computerarium.org