Topics

HP Integral Software Engineering ROM dump?

Mattis Lind

I have a nice little HP Integral that I intend to work a bit with. It is working fine except for possibly that the power button is not staying in ON position.
I have read about the Software Engineering ROM. It would be nice to have!

Is there a dump available for the HP Integral Software Engineering ROM or were these extra utilities available as file to be stored on an external hard?

Is the 2MByte Software Engineering ROM perceived as an filesystem by HP-UX?

Mattis,

I’ve sent you a private mail, but the image files are also on the HP Integral directory in the files section.

-Rik

I have a nice little HP Integral that I intend to work a bit with. It is working fine except for possibly that the power button is not staying in ON position.
I have read about the Software Engineering ROM. It would be nice to have!

Is there a dump available for the HP Integral Software Engineering ROM or were these extra utilities available as file to be stored on an external hard?

Is the 2MByte Software Engineering ROM perceived as an filesystem by HP-UX?

fulivi@...

Hi,
I looked at the IMG.rar file from the files section some time ago but I found that it holds just the images of the accompanying floppy disks and not of the ROMs themselves.
Maybe I've just looked in the wrong place.
And, AFAIK, the ROMs are handled as a read-only filesystem by HP-UX.

--F.Ulivi

The ROMs contains the files, like the CCP compiler and other programs. When your using the ROMs you don't need the disks.

-Rik

fulivi@...

Ah, ok, I was deceived by this statement from README on 1st disk:
     NOTE: These commands will only run with the Software  Engineering  ROM
     installed!

--F.Ulivi

Mark Bielman

Trying to "view" these with WinZip 25 but that's not working.
How can I do that?

Do not want to burn a CD!

thx

Mark

Use Winrar to view the files.

-Rik

Mark Bielman

OK. So those ROM files are not the contents of the ROMs themselves but rather
the installation discs that come with the SE ROM Module. These will install files to
your HDD that are NOT included in the SE ROM Module.

So things like cat, ls, cc (etc) are in the SE ROM but others like the lp admin and spooler
files are not.

That is how my system is set up: the SE ROM Module + HDD to make a "complete"
HP-UX system.

There is another set of HDD installation discs that you use w/o the module. Many MANY discs!

I haven't looked at the module in a while but I think there are a dozen or so ROMs in there.

Mark

Mark Bielman

16 ROMs

Mattis Lind

Thanks for all replies, Rik, Mark and F. Ulivi!

I am a. It confused. Do I understand things correctly? Three staements below, are these true or false?

There is a SE ROM which is 2 Mbyte in size and contain 16 ROM chips. It contain a read-only filesystem.

In the img.rar file there are image files of floppy disks but these are complementary disks that are installed on the hard drive. The files on these six SE ROM disks are NOT the same as the content of the SE ROM itself.

There are other installation disks that contain the the same files as the actual SE ROM module.

The some questions:

Is the actual SE ROM contents dumped somewhere? It would be interesting to have dump of the actual ROM.

Is the format of the ROM file system known?  Would it be possible to create this kind of ROM file system?

Is the full Software Engineering installation package dumped? I.e. the package that does not rely on the SE ROM module? Is it in fact among the 45 files in IMG.RAR?

Some thoughts:

I have been contemplating the idea of creating a board that contain 8 meg of SRAM (on single chip nowadays) and 4 meg of NOR Flash. The Integral looks pretty much like the standard 68000 bus and it should be quite straight forward to create a board.

But this kind of board is perhaps of little use unless I could get my hands of the content of the ROM and get an understanding of the format.

/Mattis

8 infactImage

-Rik

Image
The SE ROM contains the C and Fortran compiler +supporting programs.
As far as I know the same programs are on the disks.
The advantage of the SE ROM is having the program available not needing a hard drive or box of disks.

Mark Bielman

I mean there are 16 ROM chips on the board.
(they are 8-bit ROMs)

Mark

Glen Slick

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:04 AM Mattis Lind <mattislind@gmail.com> wrote:

Is the format of the ROM file system known? Would it be possible to create this kind of ROM file system?
There is a utility somewhere for creating the ROM file system. Back
when I had an IPC years ago I had an 82971A EPROM Module:

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=937

That has sockets for up to sixteen 64KB EPROMs, for a total of 1MB, or
half the capacity of the 82987A Software Engineering ROM.

It has been long enough now that I can't remember anything about how I
created the ROM file system image. I chose a set of files that would
total up to 1MB or less, and somehow created a ROM file system image
from that set of files. Then I segmented the ROM file system image up
into 64K chunks and programmed those into the EPROMs for the 82971A
EPROM Module.

Oh, I must have used the EPROM/ROM Tools here:
http://hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?sw=200

Too bad I didn't keep that IPC. Would probably be a long time before
another 82971A EPROM Module turned up anywhere.

Mark Bielman

Mattis,

Are you still interested in this? I am working on the BASIC ROM piggy back module
and I might be able to come up w/something. I have one of these (SW ROM MODULE)
and noticed that the ROMs are in sockets. Need an adapter (as it appears) to read
the ROM code and program into a (32-pin) PROM.

Maybe there is some interest in the group about these.

Mark

Mark Bielman

Interestingly, the original SW ROM MODULE had a connector for an additional PCBA. The docs I've seen
are for a serial card; but mine has a 1MB RAM card on it!

More interest?

Mark

Mark Bielman

Sorry Rik. No FORTRAN compiler in there. (f77)

Mattis Lind

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 05:18 AM, Mark Bielman wrote:
Mattis,

Are you still interested in this?
Yes, I am still very interested in a dump of the SE ROMs. I am still contemplating creating a combined SRAM and NOR Flash ROM board which then could hold the SE ROM and some other stuff.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:36 AM, Glen Slick wrote:
On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:04 AM Mattis Lind <mattislind@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pointer to this tool. Entirely missed it when browsing around in the hpmuseum software catalog. Now that I have MAME emulation of the IPC running I will try using it and see if what kind of format it creates.

Too bad I didn't keep that IPC. Would probably be a long time before
another 82971A EPROM Module turned up anywhere.

al_kossow

from a friend